buying moble homes - Posted by carl

Posted by Blane (MI) on February 10, 2000 at 09:37:20:

I too am in metro Detroit and had the same problem, so maybe I can help. Initially I was going in and explaining that I was trying to help someone buy a home. The PM’s then said that the buyer had to live in the home. Since the PM was looking at me only as an individual, they were naturally saying I needed to do all the things a regular applicant would, apply to the park, pay security deposit, credit check, and at one park even would have to get police clearance. For a while I was very discouraged.

I believe it was Tony-VA who helped me (along with Dirk and others as well) to modify my spiel by coming across as a someone who is with a company that buys and sells homes as a business. As the pros have correctly pointed out, “a confused mind says no.” My goal is to show I’m no different than Conseco in that I finance sales of homes, except maybe my company is a lot smaller company. I am the “employee” of a corporation, and hopefully when they understand that, issues of credit checks etc. fall by the wayside. It is a matter of how we present ourselves, & I’m the first to admit not having a lot of marketing expertise.

Though discouraged, I went out one Friday scouting out parks and talked with two managers that day, committed to coming across the right way. Things went much better, and since then have just worked those two parks in my effort to close that first deal. Both managers, though not showing me any favoritism (both declined the chance to earn referral fees) have been pleasant and helpful. Both have pointed me to bank repos and sellers. One has even offered me first dibs on buying her double wide instead of listing with a dealer if I can come up with the loan payoff amount (this will be the subject of a future post). I’ll be making my first purchase Monday, with the goal of flipping it before I go to the convention. My progress has probably been slower than others, but it’s moving and like the saying goes, if I can do it, anyone can.

Don’t give up and keep asking questions, a lot of people here are happy to help. Just one of many reasons why this site is so great.

Best wishes,

Blane

buying moble homes - Posted by carl

Posted by carl on February 10, 2000 at 07:56:19:

I hear a lot about people buying mobile homes at bargin prices then selling them while they hold the note, I guess it would be a land contract. But every park I look at in the metro detriot area will not permit this. Does any one have any ideas or am I presenting this wrong , they say you must live in home. I have been to 8 parks.