C.A.R. forms - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on November 19, 1998 at 07:57:29:

Thanks for your advise. It makes a lot of sense. I guess Im destined to spend as much time writing offers as looking for deals to write. Again, thanks for the information.

C.A.R. forms - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on November 18, 1998 at 09:18:05:

Does anyone out there know if there are alternate real estate deposit and purchase forms that can be used inlieu of the C.A.R. (California Association of Realtors) forms. There has to be something a guy can use to get away from writing a book each time an offer is presented. Ideally, the alternate forms would be on a CD.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Re: C.A.R. forms - Posted by Tim Pannabecker

Posted by Tim Pannabecker on November 19, 1998 at 05:41:14:

Bill,

I would recommend using the CAR form for legal reasons. The CAR form is continually refined to meet new negislation (to CYA). It is available along with any other CAR forms online (not cheep). Many sellers in CA will be suspect of a “homemade” or unfamilar contract. Institutional sellers (REO) will likely require the CAR form. Many of the purchase contracts written for “all” states are watered down and do not provide enough “meat” for sufficent protection (in CA). Additionally, if the contract is to much in your (professional Buyer’s) favor, a court may, and has, found that the contract is unenforceable because it is unbalanced (or the buyer has taken unfair advantage). I appreciate your committment to efficency and completely agree with you, but I am also committed to protecting what I have worked so hard to attain.

The best of luck to you,

Tim

Re: C.A.R. forms - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on November 18, 1998 at 12:33:29:

Try Bronchick’s site at legalwiz.com. If he doesn’t have anything posted, try emailing him.

You should try to avoid using Realtor’s forms because they are written to favor the seller. Every time you receive an offer on a Realtor’s form and make any changes necessary to make it more favorable to you as the buyer, you are in effect counteroffering to the seller, which lengthens the negotiating process.