California: $880 per month Income Vet Needs Home - Posted by incalifornia

Posted by Bill H on June 13, 2006 at 21:33:00:

Call the toll free VA number and ask for assistance.

California: $880 per month Income Vet Needs Home - Posted by incalifornia

Posted by incalifornia on June 12, 2006 at 24:26:36:

I have a friend who is a Veteran and he has been prequalified for a home loan up to $65,000. How might he find a seller willing to sell him a home that is at least liveable?

I have been trying to help him by combing through alot of properties, including those for sale by owner. Problem is, nobody is willing to take terms over and above the $65,000 cash.

We made an offer on a fixer upper home up in the far northern counties area of California where they were asking $130,000 for a 3 br, 1 bth home on .12 acres. The fixer upper we determined was a major fixer upper, but still liveable having tenants already in it. Surrounding home values are in the $200,000 range. Home was built in the late 1930’s to early 40’s, has no foundation, and, according to most contractors is ready to be demolished, so much is wrong with it in fact. My friend has 8 years of construction experience so not much is beyond him as far as knowing what to do. The offer was in the $90’s based on our market valuation of land in the area so we felt that by offering terms to make up for the difference while he fixed it up over a 5 year period was reasonable, we asked for the remainder to be a flexible setup where should he come up with the balance through cash possibly through inheritance he could flat out pay it off. The terms were $120 per month for the first 5 years (enough time too so that he or his partner might obtain an additional new loan to cover the rest since the partner is working on their credit and not quite able to qualify for much more than $50,000 either.

Anyone with any ‘bright’ ideas or good website resources beyond newspaper classifieds is welcome to email me with properties/sellers that have between 2 to 3 bedrooms and at least a 1 car garage with enough space on the land to have a storage shed that can hold garden and maintenance/custodial equipment.

California: $880 per month Income Vet Needs Home - Posted by gerald(tx)

Posted by gerald(tx) on June 12, 2006 at 02:01:17:

If his pension is only $880/mo, this means he requires no care or attendence. In other words he can work, but is limited in the type of work he can perform.

If he works just a little, his check is reduced by an equal amount. Therefore, the unambitious choose not to work at all.

Sorry if I can’t get excited about helping someone who is judged capable of working some. And yes, I’m a veteran also.

gerald

California: $880 per month Income Vet Needs Home - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on June 12, 2006 at 13:13:56:

Glad to know you are a veteran Gerald…BUT…apparently not a disabled one with limited abilities and limited resources.

Probably what Bill Mauldin described during WWII as a “Garritroooper”…to far forward to have to wear a tie but far enough back that there was no danger of getting shot and killed.

California: $880 per month Income Vet Needs Home - Posted by gerald(tx)

Posted by gerald(tx) on June 12, 2006 at 14:43:09:

Wrong, Bill H.

I got my PH in two tours in 'Nam, and I am entitled to the same pension mentioned. That’s the reason I am well versed on the amount and conditions.

The only difference is I chose to work and refuse to take a handout like I see multitudes of Vets do.

Your post is based on assumption and ignorance.

gerald

Re: California: $880 per month … - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on June 12, 2006 at 15:28:32:

I for one appreciate your sevice, Gerald. I would remind those who make comments like Bill that even those who wear a tie in the military can be put in harms way, and I know this first hand. All folks who have served deserve some respect. That being said, I really admire those who don’t let a disability get them down.

Reply: Details on VA pensionsCa: $880 month - Posted by incalifornia

Posted by incalifornia on June 12, 2006 at 18:26:24:

My friend would very much like to work again. He is in so much pain though that he is scared of going back and then being unceremoniously ‘fired’ and completely losing retirement or pension. He can only stand for about 10 minutes on really bad days, on a good day, he can walk for about an hour. He refuses to take the morphine he is prescribed unless the pain is so bad from ‘pushing it’ during the day that he knows he wouldn’t be able to sleep so he will take one of those pills just before bedtime. He says the medicine tears his stomach up.

Do any of you Vets have the terms of the VA pension text handy? I would like to see that. Thanks for everyone’s comments, you all seem to know what you’re talking about!

Re: Reply: Details on VA pensionsCa: $880 month - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on June 12, 2006 at 20:14:51:

Exactly what I was referring to…the amount of the disabilty pension NEVER seems to be in relationship to the actual disability…there are lots who would love to be an able bodied performing person…but just simply are not capable due to the disability.

Yes, I am a veteran and Yes, I get disability also, Yes, I have worked with lots of people with disbilites who REALLY work theri A$$ of trying and come up short.

They deserve everything they get for what they gave.

Details on VA pensionsCa: $880 month - Posted by incalifornia

Posted by incalifornia on June 12, 2006 at 21:46:18:

It’s really strange, my friend has nothing that gives the details of the terms and conditions of the VA pension and the VA.gov website does not give any text as to such.

If anyone has the info. please post it here or email me direct with it.

I have suggested to him some sort of job that would allow him to sit and stand as he is able, perhaps some security type job monitoring security cameras or something like that. He is 56 years old. Does anyone have any other creative ideas that might work as far as employment that offers a benefits and retirement package? He has transferrable knowledge in the form of having been an MP (military police)on base in the Army/National Guard as well as his multiple tours of duty by sea during Vietnam as Deckhand/Bosun’s Mate and driver for the Captain once on land. There is other background too, stuff such as working in a lab at a refinery but this was many years ago.

Any job links for Vets would be great. Thanks.