Calling "WE BUY HOUSES" Ads - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by johnman on December 08, 1998 at 19:52:30:

Before you use your itchy fingers on typing SUCH A NEGATIVE RESPONSE read everthing first. Maybe (if you could read) you will see my response to him was the result of his misinterpretation of my point. SO CHILL BOY!!!

Calling “WE BUY HOUSES” Ads - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by John (KS) on December 04, 1998 at 10:09:03:

I was so inspired, I want to put Jackie’s “10 steps to get started” on my personal web site with her permission, to share with my friends.

When calling the “WE BUY HOUSES” ads, how do you approach the investor. Do you just say, “I am a beginning investor interested in birddogging and flipping some properties to you”. then find out what they are looking for? Thanks for any help you can give me, I am planning on calling Ad’s tonight.

Here is my “short list” of questions. - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on December 04, 1998 at 16:39:24:

John,

The first thing that I try to do when I make a call to a new I buy houses ad is to make them feel relaxed and find out what kind of information that they need. I start off asking questions like I had a place for sale (with out saying that I have one).

Examples:

When you buy these houses do you buy everywhere or in only a few select areas?

Do you buy houses that need repairs of just the good ones?

Do you buy with only cash or would you be interested in properties that could be purchased on seller financing?

Do you ever joint venture with people to own houses the need fixed up and instead buying them you help with the fix up and you sell and split some of the profits with the home owner?

What price range of homes to you think sell the best??

Who do you find to buy your homes after you purchase them??

As you might guess by the time that I am at the end of the list they don’t need to ask if I am an investor, or an owner, but by my questions they know that they need to get to know me better.

I still am getting calls from ads that I replied to over a year ago!

Hope this Helps

Mark R in KCMO

Relax - Posted by Joe(IN)

Posted by Joe(IN) on December 04, 1998 at 14:50:33:

Just relax. I think those investors should be as interested in talking to you as you are in them.
Tell what you are looking for, and ask them what they are looking for.

Two months ago I called one of these ads, and a week later had lunch with the gentleman. I was looking to buy some good deals. Come to find out, he has built up contacts for finding deals, but he knows little about structuring deals.

Now I’ve bought 2 properties, made 2 other offers, and I’m looking at 2 more, all through his connections. (Not exactly a success story yet because I havn’t sold any yet: but I will)

This guy also needed a job, and guess what I found for him.

You just never know what will come from these calls.

Joe

Re: Calling “WE BUY HOUSES” Ads - Posted by johnman

Posted by johnman on December 04, 1998 at 13:43:10:

Good question!!! I just did that yesterday and the investor I called wasn’t receptive. I think they felt threaten which they shouldn’t have. I’ll call them back once I have something lined up.

Johnman.

Re: Relax - Posted by Westside Johnny

Posted by Westside Johnny on December 04, 1998 at 16:24:51:

I took Jackie’s advice yesterday and called an ad. At first I felt like I needed to hide my intentions. Then I just decided to tell the honest truth that I am an investor looking to make some money by flipping houses. Guess what - In just a few calls I found a great source of information and inspiration that was very eager to help and ready to make a deal when I find the property.

To take the advice of Jackie in Dallas, “WHY WAIT?!”. Just start calling NOW and tell the truth. You might not get a good one right away, but you’ll be one step closer to making the big deal.

p.s. -
Hey Joe, what area of IN are you in?

Westside Johnny (IN)

Re: Calling “WE BUY HOUSES” Ads - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on December 04, 1998 at 19:40:43:

I find that the people who are threatened when you ask them questions are the ones who don’t really know what they are doing. Every “experienced” investor that I have spoken with has welcomed my thoughts and questions. I do the same at this point. I don’t mind people calling me and asking where I want homes or what I am looking for. I am delighted if someone has a property for me. These are just my thoughts, may now be right but it is what I have experienced.

SCook85

Re: Calling “WE BUY HOUSES” Ads - Posted by Johnman

Posted by Johnman on December 04, 1998 at 19:51:39:

SCook85,

Thanks for your comment. You are probably right. The lady I was talking to was so cold! She was short with me so I just decided to leave her alone and I’ll contact her on a later date. Thanks again.

johnman

Re: Calling “WE BUY HOUSES” Ads - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on December 05, 1998 at 08:54:59:

If your approach on the phone is anything like the responses you made to JPiper (who is one of the most respected and knowledgable people here) you may get people hanging up on you all the time.
You are that most dangerous of creatures - a person who doesn’t know how much they don’t know.