calling "WE BUY HOUSES" ads - Posted by Michael

Posted by Bo (GA) on March 07, 2001 at 07:50:23:

Consider this:

Pretend for a moment that you are thinking about opening a new Burger King. You try to educate yourself as much as you can about hamburgers, and you decide that you can probably learn a lot (you are probably correct) from the owner of the local McDonalds down the street. You call him up, tell him about your plans, and what do you think he will do? Do you think he will tell you all about the perfect temperature to cook burgers, what advertising campaigns have worked best for him, the ingredients in his “secret sauce”, etc.?

If your answers is “No, I would never do that, to think that he would give me all this information is ridicoulus, after all, he is trying to run a business!”

If so, then ask yourself, why should real estate be different? To a lot of people, it is also a business, and by calling the “I buy houses” ads, you are taking time away from their business - their pursuit of a livelyhood - and asking them to give you all their secrets! Then don’t be surprised if yuo get a negative answer.

If you use think about it, there are better ways to get the information/education you are looking for. This forum is one of the best - nobody will “hang up” on you for asking questions here, and you might want to try one or two of the courses offered as well.

Use common sense and have fun!

Bo (GA)

calling “WE BUY HOUSES” ads - Posted by Michael

Posted by Michael on March 07, 2001 at 24:28:36:

Hello all,

I am going to set up a corporation on Thursday and expecting Mr. Kaiser’s course on L/O’S in any day. I thought it would be a good idea to call some of the “WE BUY HOUSES” ads in my local paper to see what kind of success the guys in my area were having and if I could get some info on a good investor group in the area. Well you would have thought that I asked to screw their mothers (I guess this site has kind of spoiled me a little). There are about ten ads in my local paper and out of the four I could get a hold of, three of them didn’t want to tell me anything. As soon as I mention I was a new investor in the area you would have thought I was the enemy. I couldn’t get much conversation out of any of them. Much less what types of deal had been working the best for them, and which weren’t doing so well. I accidently called one investor twice and he hung up on me! (HOW RUDE)
I understand that there are plenty enough houses to go around for everyone, that is something they have yet to learn!
The one guy that did talk to me was pretty nice and has been in the business for about fifteen years. I explained to him how I plan to buy properties such as, L/O’s and subject-to’s.
He just kept telling me it would be too hard to find people that will just give up their property and no money deals are few and far between, which I know is not true but I let him talk anyway. He explained the only way to make the money in investing is with good credit and money to put down, his thoery is you can’t make money without money. I’m sure I will have some diagree with that theory. (me too)
My question is have any of you other seasoned investors tried calling around to other investors in your area and is this the same type of response you receive?
I was quite shocked that no one was willing to give the new guy a heads up on the area.

Sorry so long and Thanks for your responses!

Michael KY.

Re: calling “WE BUY HOUSES” ads - Posted by Diane

Posted by Diane on March 07, 2001 at 20:54:21:

Don’t give up I’m from Kentucky, as well. You probably came upon the investors I encountered. But, I kept calling. I didn’t let them stop me from doing what I want. Try looking on this site (www.kreia.com). Hope this helps. I’m getting ready to close two deals. I would also like to thank everyone on this site that has given me advice. Thank you.

Re: calling “WE BUY HOUSES” ads - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on March 07, 2001 at 07:48:08:

Okay, let’s see…you’re cold-calling competitors and asking them what has been successful for them, and what has not. In this way, you can avoid some of their costly mistakes and leap frog ahead in the learning curve so that you will be more successful, sooner when you are competing against them.

Hmm. No, I can’t figure out why they wouldn’t be happy to interrupt their day to spend time with a stranger wanting to compete with them. They’re probably just jerks.

You may be able to find others in your area that will help you be a stronger competitor, but you are more likely to find help here, where those offering advice aren’t wondering if you will be taking deals from them.

Ron Guy

Re: calling “WE BUY HOUSES” ads - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on March 07, 2001 at 07:41:19:

I would offer up to keep trying. There are those out there who will talk and help out. The listen, let you vent, they vent, share ideas etc.

I know several from my home town here in Houston and they all take the time to talk and listen to me.

Jim Kennedy is one who come immediatly to mind. Jackie Langin Dallas, heck I even talk to people as far away as William in Gerogia. I met him at a seminar and we talk together all the time. Time and distance does not matter. Then you have the chat room which is another whole area.

Go to the meetings and find out who is doing deals. Realy doing deals. They will most likeky help a new guy out.

I talk to people all the time in Houston who are starting out. I may not tell everything but I am pretty open. Present it that you can help increase their profits by flipping them deals. Or if they work one side of town and you another you will send them people that you don’t want to mess with.

Work together. It’ll pay off

Terry

Re: calling “WE BUY HOUSES” ads - Posted by Mamosa Foster

Posted by Mamosa Foster on March 07, 2001 at 06:56:56:

I have gotten a similar response from an investor I asked to join an investors’ group I have organized. He said he wasn’t interested because he didn’t want to increase his competition. He said he had everything to lose. He didn’t want to tell people what he was doing. I thought this was a very selfish and negative attitude.