Can anyone relate to this ? - Posted by Tim C.

Re: Can anyone relate to this ? - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Steve-Atl on May 18, 2000 at 10:01:22:

I’m fortunate that my wife is now supportive. She too, was skeptical and resistant to REI, but that changed after the first deals. Once she saw the money coming in from REI she became a believer.

Demonstration is the best way to convince a spouse. Don’t try too hard to sell them on the idea before you complete a deal. Just ask them to allow you to show them it can be done.

In the meantime, see if you can persuade her to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

Re: Unpopular opinion… - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 18, 2000 at 20:16:05:

you’ve got to be kidding… Divorce because your spouse doesn’t like your career?? Mine hasn’t understood mine for three years now. Get over it and go on.

Laure :slight_smile:

Nice Post - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on May 20, 2000 at 23:29:01:

Thanks Jim!

Not only did I cut, paste, and print that one for myself but I also sent it to one of my old buddies who finally decided to get married. He’s now a Vice-President for PIP Printing so I guess he had to have a wife.

LeonNC

Re: The Profit… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on May 19, 2000 at 10:46:49:

The Profit?..

Ya know Jim I went to school with Kahlil Gibran. That’s right, a lot of people
don’t know that. As a matter of fact, Ill tell you another piece of trivia. Old
Kal,( we use to call him Cal) was married 7 times.

Rumor has it, he’s living in North Hollywood in a Gay community.

You know me Jim, I keep up on all of the latest scoop.

As a matter of fact, I asked Cal to write me a thought for the day.

Here it is,

If you think you are nothing, you are not.

If you think you are something, you are not.

Life’s just a game, your just a name.

Whether you like it or not.

Next time you come to California Jim, we’ll drive to North Hollywood and I’ll
introduce you to him. But do me a favor Jim, don’t make a big deal out of it when
you notice, he talks with a stutter.

Boy Jim, I can’t believe it, what a small world. There you are in Missouri, telling
everybody about one of my old high school buddies. What a small world???

((SMILE))

Ed Garcia

?.( NOTICE )?.

This Post has been written just for FUN. Any duplication or reproduction of it is
Protected by Ed Garcia and his Cronies. As a matter of fact, if this post did not
make you laugh, then Ed Garcia did not write it, Ray Alcorn did.

Re: The Prophet… - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 18, 2000 at 20:18:29:

hmmm… something else we have in common. Must be the creative side of our minds… ever searching and wondering “what if”

Re: Can anyone relate to this ? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 18, 2000 at 20:21:19:

Sounds like she is the entrepeneur type. Has others do it for her ! LOL I should take a lesson from her.

Re: Can anyone relate to this ? - Posted by Tim C

Posted by Tim C on May 18, 2000 at 16:05:51:

thank you for your advice. You sound very wise and I appreciate your knowlege.

Re: Can anyone relate to this ? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 18, 2000 at 20:30:40:

In my marriage of only 3 years now, I have done many deals and re-invested most of the profits back into other deals. Well, last month we closed on a house and got a check for 47k. I still took the money and did what I wanted to with it, but I put it on a full color copier at work and blew it up to a 12x18 size check. I took it home and put it on his pillow. You shoulda seen his eyes light up ! It has made a huge difference… he is “getting it” now. I still have the check in my dresser drawer. It is good for me to see from time to time too !

I cashed the real check :slight_smile:

Re: check out Zig Ziglar - Posted by Rosalyn_MD

Posted by Rosalyn_MD on May 22, 2000 at 13:08:39:

Hi!
Where can I find his tapes?

Onthe other hand… - Posted by Scott SC

Posted by Scott SC on May 18, 2000 at 14:41:52:

It seems your wife is being awfully selfish.
If you enjoy investing and you’re making money let her know that’s what you’re gonna do.
I would not sacrafice something I love doing just to please the wife, especially when she can’t come up with any reason why investing makes her unhappy.
Maybe she’s jealous. Maybe she doesn’t enjoy her job and she expects you not to enjoy yours. Misery loves company.
Anyway, I don’t know the exact situation, but don’t lead an unhappy career just to make the wife happy. If she loves you she wouldn’t ask you to quit doing something you believe in so strongly.
If all the great investors out there would have listened to their wives, many would be working 9:00 to 5:00 behind a desk all day, listening to a boss who doesn’t know his head from his butt, and feeling very depressed.

I was gonna say get her to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad too. - Posted by Jen-LA

Posted by Jen-LA on May 18, 2000 at 16:21:07:

My husband is %100 into our real estate investing, but I’ve found that even since I read rd,pd, and he hasn’t yet, I’m already ahead of him on the excitement and intensity level- he’s like “whoa! calm down!” So, he’ll catch up, but not until he’s read it and been inspired again. Who knows though, this stuff doesn’t interest some people at all- and never will, so don’t push too hard. I’m lucky in that he is just as interested in real estate as I am.

She’s not necessarily being selfish, she’s probably just fearful of “losing” money- or that you’ll run out and blow it all and get into debt. She’ll soon realize that you will be making A LOT, and, ahem, unless she’s “not so smart”, has to come to the conclusion that it is a legitimate profession- just misunderstood.

Don’t worry, you have a long, looooong time to get to know one another. I’ve only been married for 4 years, and am amazed at how much we’ve each changed in just that time.

good luck
-jen

there’s a mooch loose… - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on May 21, 2000 at 21:10:58:

…Ed, you know I couldn’t fake those priceless Garcia-isms… and besides, anybody that didn’t laugh when they read that is either asleep or brain dead, so no need for me to take cover!

ray

Re: The Profit… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 19, 2000 at 14:03:11:

Hey Ed:

I knew you were somewhat older than I am…but I really had no idea just how much! Your buddy Kahlil was born in 1883…died in 1931! Just exactly what year did you guys attend high school??? Did it have indoor plumbing? In any case, there was a time when I thought you were kind of old looking, but now with this latest revelation, I’m starting to believe you’ve truly discovered the Fountain of Youth.

By the way, it’s the “Prophet” …not “profit”…but at your age I understand.

JPiper

small world humor - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on May 19, 2000 at 12:32:07:

Ed,
With my dry sense of humor, I was slightly smirking as I read through your post. That is, until I reached the disclaimer. It’s scary that Ray has been around so long that he’s able to imitate your style with such preciseness…you probably shouldn’t have given him any ideas…

I found them in Barnes & Noble (NT) - Posted by Anne-ND

Posted by Anne-ND on May 22, 2000 at 17:18:20:

nt

Re: A nice break - Posted by T Jent

Posted by T Jent on May 20, 2000 at 01:52:29:

To Piper and Garcia (or Ray): Thanks for the Prophet meditation … and the humor. Both a welcome respite.