Can I charge my tenant for roaches? - Posted by Jennifer

Posted by Jim FL on August 10, 2009 at 15:55:44:

What does your lease agreement state with regard to these items?
This would be the course to follow, read the contract BEFORE signing it with a tenant, and know what each and every clause means and it’s purpose.

Security deposit and damage as well as pest control, and upkeep of the lawn should be covered in your lease.
Also, check your local landlord tenant laws, many areas have timing issues about security deposits, etc.

Good luck,
Jim FL

Can I charge my tenant for roaches? - Posted by Jennifer

Posted by Jennifer on August 10, 2009 at 08:47:58:

Hi all,

I have a rental house that my tenant just moved out of, and I went in to find it infested w/ roaches. This is a nice house in a rural area w/ no close neighbors. I lived in in myself for five years w/ never a roach, and had a previous tenant who never had a problem either. The tenant who just left moved in from Philadelphia last year, and I feel he brought them with him. He was the kind of pain-in-the-ass tenant that complained about EVERYTHING (ie. “can you recaulk the bathtub, replace this one $3 miniblind, and clean the gutters?”) but he never said anything about the roaches, so he must have known he brought them with him. When I went in after he moved out, the house was very clean and there were roach motels EVERYWHERE. He knew there was a problem, and I guess he was trying to kill them before I got in to see how bad it was.

My question is…can I take the fee for treating the house for roaches out of his security deposit? I also have to take out a couple of late fees he never paid, AND the charge for cutting the knee high grass that seems to have been neglected all summer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can I charge my tenant for roaches? - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on August 10, 2009 at 17:06:06:

I would in a single family but you cannot prove who caused it a 2 or more unit