Can I collect rent w/ auto payroll deduction? - Posted by Brian (IN)

Posted by William in Hawaii on June 23, 1999 at 13:50:29:

I apologize for taking so long to reply.

Thanks for letting me know that the direct deposit could be stopped by the soldier at anytime. I was just going by what one of my latest customers told me he’s stationed here at schofield. Before I thought the same thing because I too was in the military and I saw that happen marines being able to stop and start allotments at anytime. Since I’ve been out since 93 I thought things had changed and I believed him. Thanks alot for the input. Maybe one day I can return the favor.

Can I collect rent w/ auto payroll deduction? - Posted by Brian (IN)

Posted by Brian (IN) on June 16, 1999 at 20:45:04:

I have a potential tenant/buyer for a property I am advertising for L/O who approached me with paying his rent through an automatic payroll deduction through his employer. I would get my money from his payroll check weekly before he ever receives his pay check. Is there any legal or other problem with a landlord accepting payment in this manner?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Can I collect rent w/ auto payroll deduction? - Posted by Patricia

Posted by Patricia on June 17, 1999 at 09:05:47:

This is one of the suggestions Jeffrey Taylor (Mr Landlord) made at the convention.

Re: Can I collect rent w/ auto payroll deduction? - Posted by Scott Moore

Posted by Scott Moore on June 17, 1999 at 04:21:36:

How would someone, like me, get into something like this? Do I have to contact the employers and see if it is something they will do or what?

How does this work?

Re: Can I collect rent w/ auto payroll deduction? - Posted by William in Hawaii

Posted by William in Hawaii on June 16, 1999 at 23:58:31:

Also the other set back with this is that you will have to provide him with your account number and tracking number. But I’ve never had a problem with that.

Posted by William in Hawaii on June 16, 1999 at 23:56:12:

There is absolutely no problem at all!! That’s is the BEST and I mean best way to collect your payments. You never have to worry about a bad check or chasing them down for payment I wish all of my customers did the samething! Also, if he’s military once he starts it he can’t stop it until his debt to you is satisfied! No matter what! The only set back is sometimes it takes two paydays to start. So you may have to receive at least one manual payment from him and after that it’s Smooth sailing.

Posted by William in Hawaii on June 17, 1999 at 21:16:57:

All that has to be done is you or your customer get
a direct deposit form and both of you fill it out.
Then he has to turn it in to his administration section.

Re: Can I collect rent w/ auto payroll deduction? - Posted by Scott Moore

Posted by Scott Moore on June 17, 1999 at 04:19:24:

No you do not, you ONLY have to provide his employer with your info, NOT hime.

I Agree Except For One Point… - Posted by Scott (AK)

Posted by Scott (AK) on June 18, 1999 at 12:32:33:

William,

I agree setting up auto debit is the best way to get your payment…I have a couple L/O that do the same thing…SUPER trouble free.

The one point I do not agree with is the statement “if he is in the military he cannot stop it until his debt to you is complete”…I have been in the military for over 15 yrs. I can start an allotment to you today and go down to stop it tommorrow. It’s my paycheck and the money goes where I say it goes.

Although the military has systems in place to help prevent the soldier from running on his bills. All the command can do is put a HIGE amount of preasure on the soldier to pay. If the soldier decides he/she does not want to pay the bill, the creditor would be adviced to pursue the debt through civil means.

I have seen a LOT of reference to the military commanders being able to MAKE the soldier pay the debts lately. This is absolutely untrue. While the soldier may suffer grave consequenses for NOT paying the bottom line is the command can NOT take the money from his account or pocket and pay it.

I just wanted to get this out there so folks would not think someone is going to pay the bill if the soldier decides not to. But by and large the greatest amount of soldiers are still some of the best people to do business with.

Thanks for listening

Scott (AK)