Can I resell MLS data? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Jason_VA on July 02, 2003 at 08:31:59:

The reason is simple. They want you to see a few properties online, and then GO GET A REAL ESTATE AGENT.

-Jason_VA

Can I resell MLS data? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on July 01, 2003 at 21:37:32:

The MLS data I get online for free is always outdated and inaccruate for any given area I search. Can I create a resource online that has up to date information and charge a fee for this service or is this data considered intellectual property belonging to MLS?

Re: Can I resell MLS data? - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on July 01, 2003 at 21:55:09:

Mike,

MLS data is proprietary.
Realtor Association says it belongs to the MLS but individual brokers say data belong to them.

The advent of virtual office websites ( ie…erealty.com, ziprealty.com, realtor.com ) have caused a ripple effect as to the true owner of data.

The current ruling on ownerhip gives idividual brokers the option to exclude their data from public display. The question then becomes if enough brokers opt out of data distribution will it impaire the functionality of the MLS network? Nobody knows.

To answer your question, yes, MLS data is proprietary.

Cheerz,

Re: Can I resell MLS data? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on July 01, 2003 at 21:44:54:

All the MLS data we have in my area have copyright statements at the bottom of the webpage.

Re: Can I resell MLS data? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on July 01, 2003 at 22:32:39:

Thanks for the response. Now why is it that I can’t get accurate data whenever I search a site like realtor.com or any other site that claims to have a direct link to MLS data? It’s totally useless for my purposes.

Re: Can I resell MLS data? - Posted by Marcos

Posted by Marcos on July 02, 2003 at 11:23:07:

You aren’t actually accessing true MLS data if you’re using free resources like Realtor.com and such. I would recommend you spend some time with a real estate agent, and you’ll find for the most part that they have very good, accurate data.

There is a reason why they don’t share that data with the public. It is a monopoly. It forces you and I to work directly with a realtor. Why in the world would they ever release that data directly to the public, everyone and their brother would try to circumvent the realtors in their area.

Hence, my recommendation to you would be to find a good agent who is willing to partner with you in your real estate ventures. There are other ways as well.

1. Become an agent.
  2. Have a significant other, family member become an agent(that worked for me).
  3. Become a subsidiary that can gain access to the MLS. Talk to your local board of realtors to find who they let have access. A common one is appraisers, mortgage brokers, etc.

HTH,

Marcos