Can PM make me sign a lease (in TX)? - Posted by DFW_Invstr

Posted by Phyllis(TX) on August 31, 2005 at 17:42:19:

Hi DFW Invstr,
My husband and I are just trying to get started, and we live in the DFW area. Would you mind if I asked the name of the park so that we can avoid it.
Thanks
Phyllis

Can PM make me sign a lease (in TX)? - Posted by DFW_Invstr

Posted by DFW_Invstr on August 31, 2005 at 16:00:36:

We bought a MH in a nice park about 6 months ago. We agreed to fix up the home the way the Park Manager wanted us to. During all of this time, they have been taking lot payments (never late, BTW) from us without us having a lease.

We now have a buyer, the Title (it’s called an SOL here in Texas) is getting transferred to the new buyer with my wife as leanholder until paid. The park is raking us over the coals now saying they won’t approve anything unless we sign a lease so they can charge us in case the buyer doesn’t pay.
The buyer was previously approved to move into the park.

They have set a precedent by taking our payments in the past without a lease. Can they now legally force us to sign one? Furthermore, the new buyer has said she would sign a lease when we have the SOL paperwork from the State. I don’t want to sign a paper just because the PM is giving me the strongarm. I always pay my bills, so I’m not worried about that part.

I think she wants to be able to hold me accountable for late fees (if the buyer has problems with lot rent) and water bills. She is saying that since my wife will have a lien on the chattle mortgage that we will be responsable. I don’t think it is legal to outright say that they won’t approve our buyers (that already live in the home as well) if we don’t sign her paperwork.

Some background…thought the relationship with the PM was great, but she changes what she says often. Instead of seing us as someone that helps keep the lot rent flowing and helping her business, she seems to have a policy of making my life miserable and breaking my b*lls. I’ve pretty much decided not to do business in her park anymore after I have the two homes sold that are in her park.

In a nutshell, can she legally make me sign a document after they have been already taking our payments? Can she tell people that have been approved to live in the park that she changed her mind because a noteholder didn’t sign a paper? As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome. If she had asked us to sign a lease right off the bat, I probably wouldn’t have cared. I just don’t like the threatening language I’m hearning now.

I don’t know why - when I am one of the people that does what I say I’m going to do, and pay always on time - they have to give me grief EVERY MONTH.

Re: Can PM make me sign a lease (in TX)? - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on August 31, 2005 at 16:43:43:

If it makes you feel any better, I have a home in a park where the PM wants her sister to move in to my nicest home. I have no problem with that, but the sister won’t know for a few weeks, meanwhile I pay lot rent.

In the meantime everyone I send through there who gets approved, the PM has ‘lifted’ and put into the park’s homes. Presumably to keep this house available for her sister.

What can you do? Nothing. I just hope all her homes get filled soon so I can start filling mine (we’re now talking SIX vacant homes- ooooo boy!). I’ll make it all back so I’m not worried- uh, not tooooo worried.

Just accept the fact that the PM is in charge. LOL!

Anne

Followup: Can PM make me sign a lease (in TX)? - Posted by DFW_Invstr

Posted by DFW_Invstr on August 31, 2005 at 16:27:59:

This is dishartening. I need to read through the latest House Bill that was passed to see if the laws have changed. Here is a link to a sad article saying that MHP lease holders really have no rights:
http://www.consumersunion.org/other/manuprsw301.htm