Can someone help clear this up for me? - Posted by Scotty

Posted by Scotty on February 01, 2001 at 09:24:43:

and I thank you.

Can someone help clear this up for me? - Posted by Scotty

Posted by Scotty on January 30, 2001 at 10:01:41:

Could you please help me to understand the differences between…

-a mobile home

-a modular home

-a manufactured home

Guess I need a vocabulary lesson.

Re: Can someone help clear this up for me? - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 30, 2001 at 12:57:58:

Defining Manufacturing Housing

What’s the difference between a mobile home, a manufactured home and a modular home?
It depends on how it’s built. If it’s built to HUD standards, it’s a manufactured home, (the newer term for mobile homes). If it’s factory built to meet state or local building codes, it’s modular housing. In general, modular houses are built to higher standards. But many manufacturers produce both types of homes with relatively few differences.

So does that mean… - Posted by Scotty

Posted by Scotty on January 31, 2001 at 21:49:11:

both manufactured homes and modular homes are treated like personal property as mobile homes are, or are they treated like real property as a house would be? Is the distinction whether or not it is on a permanent foundation?

Re: So does that mean… - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on February 01, 2001 at 08:01:21:

Manufactured homes (mobile homes) can be both personal property and RE. In some areas, if the wheels, axles and hitch is removed and a permanent foundation installed, it can then be classified as RE with improvements, same as a SFH. This would be done through the local building/zoning departments, and taxed accordingly.

But in most all cases where the mobile homes are on a rented lot, in a park, they are classified as personal property, and will have a title, not a deed, and taxed accordingly.

Modular homes are generally placed on permanent foundations and will conform to the rules/regs of a stick built house and be part of the RE. There will be a deed for both home and land, no title.

Hope this helps,

Lonnie