can you shut water off if they dont pay? - Posted by ethan

Posted by Ed Copp on September 17, 2003 at 19:44:25:

Illegal most everywhere.

can you shut water off if they dont pay? - Posted by ethan

Posted by ethan on September 17, 2003 at 19:13:42:

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can turn off a rentors water if they have not paid their MH rent and/or lot rent? Is it illegal? Thanks! Ethan

Re: can you shut water off if they dont pay? - Posted by joe in indiana

Posted by joe in indiana on September 18, 2003 at 22:10:18:

The papers I file to evict a resident from our parks in Indiana state as follow:
“generally a landlord cannot shut off a tenants utilities except in the case where the landlord pays for the utilities” That said if you are own a mobile home park and the resident is delinquent and you pay the water bill you can shut off their water. I know because I do it all the time. Belive me when people do not have water they sure can come up with the rent then!!!
good luck everyone.

Re: can you shut water off if they dont pay? - Posted by mike3367

Posted by mike3367 on September 18, 2003 at 16:26:29:

i just seen this on one of the court shows with judge mulian. according to her verdict no landlord can cut any utilites off. its against the law and the little man that say stuff after the verdict said that the tenant can sue you for 3 times the amount for pain and suffering

In most states if you supply the utilities… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 18, 2003 at 24:07:25:

…to your tenants it is against the law to turn them off with the INTENT to evict them. In CA its called constructive eviction and our statutes provide for up to $100 per day penalty against the landlord who does this, with a three hundred dollar minium for each offence. The tenant gets the penalty money not the court. Thats up to $100 per day for EACH utility you turn off.

Why would you want to pay for ANY of your tenants utilities in the first place? You can buy small cheap separate water meters like mobilehome parks use and install them yourself if you have several rentals on one master meter.

Regards, doc