Capital gain taxes - Posted by George

Posted by Bob on July 01, 2003 at 21:22:49:

George. The only way to figure the California with holding is to read the new withholding law that went into effect as of 01-01-03. It states that investor owned property will be taxed at 3.3% withholding at the time of escrow. There is no way to get around it. The withholding will be based on the selling price and held accordingly. Example. Say you bought for $100,000 years ago but are selling now for $200,000.The withholding will be held at the selling price of $200,000 (3.3%=$6,600). That is what escrow will automatically take out and mail to the State Franchise Tax Board. The old way was to estimate on your Capitol gain and mail it in to avoid penalties but with the new law it is now done accordingly. It gives you an overage paid to the state and you can not collect that until next year when you do taxes. Face it the state is broke and they are bleeding us dry. For more info go to www.ftb.ca.gov ,then click on the blue part that says individuals. Look for whats new then click on new withholding requirements for r.e. sales. Read all that applies and it will answer all your questions. This is exactly what you are looking for. Bob

Capital gain taxes - Posted by George

Posted by George on July 01, 2003 at 08:49:40:

I am selling a 4-plex and am curious about the capital gains I will be paying.

I know the fed rate is 15%, can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay to California in the way of Capital gains.

Lets say the taxable gain is 100K so I would owe the feds 15K. Using this example what would I expect to pay California??

Thanks in advance.

Don’t Forget About DEPRECIATION RECAPTURE TAX - Posted by William L Exeter

Posted by William L Exeter on July 07, 2003 at 01:52:33:

Taxpayers have been focusing on the lower 15% Federal capital gain tax rate, but do not forget that your capital gain is first allocated to the depreciation recapture tax at 25% FIRST and then if there is any capital gain left it is allocated to the 15% capital gain tax.

Bill Exeter
Diversified Exchange Corporation

Re: CA capital gain taxes - Posted by Diane (TX)

Posted by Diane (TX) on July 01, 2003 at 19:12:46:

California taxes capital gains at the same rate as ordinary income. The CA rate is graduated, depending on income, and ranges from 1% to 9.3%. The top rate kicks in fairly early, so if you have significant income from other sources, you’ll be paying 9.3%. (Note: The state tax you pay is an itemized deduction, so your combined federal and state effective tax rate may be less.)

For more information, check out this link: http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/02_forms/02_540ca_inst.pdf

Re: Capital gain taxes - Posted by Alex F. (CA)

Posted by Alex F. (CA) on July 01, 2003 at 12:44:54:

George,

It’s dependent upon your tax bracket and length of time you’ve held the property.

I’m selling my duplex and I live in California. My tax is 37% if I sold less than 1 year and 24% if I sold after 1 year and this is because of my tax bracket.

Alex F. (CA)

Re: Capital gain taxes - Posted by Dave in NOLA

Posted by Dave in NOLA on July 01, 2003 at 09:34:25:

Under the new proposed budget, you’d pay $163,000 in state capital gains.

Re: Capital gain taxes - Posted by George

Posted by George on July 01, 2003 at 14:01:42:

This will be long term capital gains.

You are telling me that the IRS wants 15% or 15K and california wants an additional 24% or 24K capital gains tax for a total of 39K on a 100K gain???

Tell me it aint so!!!

Re: Capital gain taxes - Posted by George

Posted by George on July 01, 2003 at 09:53:11:

I don’t think so homeboy. Thanks for you time tho.

Re: Capital gain taxes - Posted by Alex F. (CA)

Posted by Alex F. (CA) on July 01, 2003 at 14:17:47:

No, I’m just saying that is my total tax. Like I indicated in my earlier post, my tax bracket will be different from yours!