Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Frank

Posted by Darin on December 22, 1998 at 14:35:45:

I have worked for an investor for 5 years writing and negotating deals and getting them to a closing. He is a multi Millionaire and all From Real Estate.

7 Out of 10 Millionaires usually get that way from Real Estate.

I have never Purchased CS Program, but I plan on it now because I just quit working for My x Boss within the past two months.

I am going to Purchase every book that is highly recommended also.

I do not have a college degree and on a part time basis negotating I have secured an annual income of $80,000.

I am considering my past 5 years and my future in Real Estate my college degree. And I have had a hell of a lot of fun and planning on having alot more doing it. Freedom to come and go as I choose, If I want a raise, prospect and negotiate some more deals. You should try it. It is not always easy, in fact lately every deal I have done has been a huge pain in the ass, but I really like the day of closing, then again the first day of each month, and again if the people re-finance or sell. I collect a check again.

My opinion of CS success stories even if they are pumped up, It takes a lot to get people to respond and for someone just to better them selves. People just want to sit on there butt and slide up hill. CS cource in my opinion is just a starting point. You have to do for your self, no one else is going to give you any thing. I am sure people get the course, open it up and realize they have to work so they throw the ideas out the window and call it a scam.

Just giving my opinion.

Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on December 22, 1998 at 06:14:47:

I was a little curious about this whole Carleton Sheets deal. I am a graduate student, and often have to stay up very (VERY) late working and usually keep the boob tube on for company. If anyone here watches TV at 3 am (which I suspect) it’s mostly infomercials. Some seem legitimate, some ridiculous. You can buy Ron Popeil’s latest gizmo, or Don Lapre’s “tiny classified ads from his one-bedroom apartment” or watch that annoying woman who seems to be in every informercial from knives to buffers.

And of course, Carleton Sheets is a member of this illustrious club. It’s foolish to think that he is someone different from the others, because he too features his star pupils next to a shiny swimming pool, holding up these sheets of paper claiming that they are millionares. AND, they do it in a matter of months. This is not only unrealistic, it is fraudulent. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE can do what Carleton Sheets claims they can on the commercial. And if you think about it, you all agree with me.

Why? Becuase each of you has said this, in one way or another. You cannot realistically buy properties for no money down. You have to borrow the money from family/friends, or assume a mortgage. And if you have bad credit, or bankruptcy, you have a HUGE obstacle ahead of you. Carelton makes it seem like it’s a piece of cake. It’s not. And to make the kind of money he’s talking about may not even happen at all. You get the program, and settle into reality.

His tactics are sickening. He employs marketing people that prey on individuals like you. Those of you who are desperate, in debt, and unemployed. I mean let’s face it: who watches television at 3 am except those who have no job to get for in the morning. When I stay up at those hours (which happens rarely), I wake up exhausted and am unproductive the whole rest of the day.

It’s all an elaborate scam to get you to pay 3 easy payments of $60 (that’s a whopping $180!) in the hopes of bettering your current situation. Well, not only does that not happen like Sheets promises, you’re also out 180 bucks. The only way you improve yourself in this world is through work, and REAL education: college. You don’t have to go to Harvard either. Any community college is worth 100 times more than the Carelton Sheets bogus RE program.

After reading these posts, I am CONVINCED of all of this, and I hope at least one person reading this is convinced as well. Read the posts carefully. People are desperate, and are willing to fool themselves. Wake up people! You’ve been had. The fact that they call you up after you’ve already wasted $180 to get another $2000 should be a warning sign!

Carelton Sheets is no hero. He’s a scam artist. And he made a lot of money in real estate, but you better believe that those days are gone. Otherwise, why in the hell would he tell you people about it. If I had that kind of information, it’s worth a lot more than $180 per person, plus the occasional fool who pays $2000 for a “coach.”

I’m sure a few people will make some money from the Sheets program, but nothing NEARLY like he claims on his informercial. And others will make nothing, and even lose money. Don’t be a fool; your only ticket to success in this country is education. Not the kind that comes in the mail in 6-8 weeks either. Then you’ll really succeed, in all aspects of your life.

I didn’t leave my real e-mail address because I do not want to be flooded with responses to this message. If anyone cares to respond, you can via this site. Good luck to everyone here with their future endeavors.

Dead Wrong, Frankie. - Posted by Tim Conde

Posted by Tim Conde on December 29, 1998 at 01:48:45:

Sorry, Frank, but you are dead wrong.

What gives you the idea that the techniques taught in the Sheets course are worthless? Have you tried them? I did. I let the teachings speak for themselves and it has made me, and my partners rich.

You speak so glowingly of a college education. I have a very good college education that led to an MBA. I worked my way through the ranks as a cost accounting manager, head of internal audit, assistant controller, and controller for different companies including two in the Fortune 100. What happened? I decided I didn’t want to spend my life lining other’s pockets and I quit.

I had a small, albeit successful, tea company when I found Sheets. It was tough going for awhile but, as it usually does, persistence won out, and it has been great ever since.

The Sheets course, in my opinion, can be likened to a college education. Do you know any anthropology majors? Or history? Or religious studies? I did. From college, they went to work as tellers for the local bank. They had no productive skills. But the people who took business, accounting, etc. had jobs waiting for them if they were good students. Same with Sheets. If you are good at your studies, you learn the skills necessary to get out and put it to work.

Now, I’d be the first to say that the Sheets course is Investing 101. And to make solid money at it, you need more. Lots more. But that is available, either through other courses, books, seminars, or whatever.

The Sheets course was terrific for me. Today I am a full-time investor, real estate broker, and builder. Within three years, I hope to be building my first tract of homes, and without fear of contradiction, I can honestly say that IT STARTED WITH SHEETS.

Good luck in your education, I hope it leads you to all the things you want.

Tim

Re: Great Job!! - Posted by Felix Chatman

Posted by Felix Chatman on December 28, 1998 at 05:30:58:

Frank:

Firstly, thank you! Secondly…you must be an marketing or pyschology student. The response to your statements are are undoubtley to gain some research. The follow-ups has given me a wealth of information about CS investing and inspiration to accomplish my real estate investing goals. I must say…initially i wanted to rag-u-out. But Negativity is a waste and considering the the responses to your posting, it seems fitting to
compliment you on excellent research skills as a grad student. Now…get the CS course!

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on December 24, 1998 at 13:56:51:

I know one of the couples who were featured in a recent Sheets infomercial. They are doing quite well.
(The Grohs)

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on December 24, 1998 at 09:44:29:

Gee, I guess that $50,000 i made in one day

wasn’t reality…Well, i told Carlton thanks

anyway…and the bank loved it…so just cause

you can’t/won’t do it, that becomes your reality

but certainly not mine, and that is the beauty

of it all. We chose our mindset and make our “own”

reality… :wink:

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on December 24, 1998 at 09:42:45:

Gee, I guess that $50,000 i made in one day

wasn’t reality…Well, i told Carlton thanks

anyway…and the bank loved it…so just cause

you can’t/won’t do it, that becomes your reality

but certainly not mine, and that is the beauty

of it all. We chose our mindset and make our “own”

reality… :wink:

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Darla

Posted by Darla on December 23, 1998 at 17:12:46:

Well Frank! That was quite a lot of tv watching you did there! I think everyone said what I would have so I hope you Buy The Course and use it. I have met on line many people that have the CS course and some of them are very wealthy because they started there and went on and on. CS gets people started in Real Estate. The people that have then found their niche continue on and some get really addicted to real estate and making the big money that hard work produces in this field. If he were scamming and a fraud he would have been gone from tv infomercials by now. He has been on tv for 14 years or more. I hope to hear from you soon and I hope you will have an open mind about the posts. Dtlct

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Henry G

Posted by Henry G on December 23, 1998 at 05:40:14:

Hi Frank,

Thanks for generating this conversation. I’m new to the list so this information is very helpful to me.

I bought the CS program and it gave me the insight to educate myself in areas that I’ve never thought of. I didn’t run into this group until after I bought the course, otherwise I would have bought it sooner.

Frank, I had a full time job when I went to college. I came home from work, went to bed on the nights I didn’t have school, and got up and did my studying at 3am when I was fully rested and it was quiet. It’s 2am now and I’ve already been to bed. And I’ll go back to bed in time to sleep more and be rested in time to get up and go to work. My point is this. Not all are poor bums who are up at 3am watching infomercials. I have a TV screen on my computer.

Lastly, I ,personally, think you are scamming this list yourself. I may be wrong, but a person who goes to great lengths to listen to an infomercial as well as you seemed to, searches and finds a CS list and posts, in somewhat great detail, a potentially disruptive statement, appears to be on a search, or doing research, for information. I am just skeptical of the reason for your post. However, I hope the wonderful people here gave you what you were looking for, and look forward to chatting with you again after you get the course. I wish you luck in all you endeavors. Henry G

Frank, Frank, Frank… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on December 22, 1998 at 23:53:38:

Frank,

It is amazing you did not get slammed harder by the people who have already posted. It says a lot about their character that they reasoned with you, instead of blasting you. Because Frank-- they could have blasted you. You are SO wrong.

Let’s look at a few of your points. First, do you understand what no money down means? No money down means none of your own money goes to the seller. The seller does get money: the banks, your partners, your credit cards, etc. But you don’t take cash out of your pocket (that you may or may not have) to finance the deal. Sure, you are usually still personally liable for the debt; yet, if you buy the right property for the right terms or price, then carrying a debt you put no money down to create is not a big deal. These deals happen all the time.

Let me give you a personal example. I have equity in my home. I’ve arranged with a bank to have an equity line of credit. The bank will currently charge me 10%. I plan on buying property for around 30-50K, renovating for 10-15K, and selling with at least a 10K profit. Let’s say I borrow 65K. I’ll owe $650/mo (loan =1%monthly). And then repay at the end of 6-8 months when I rehab and sell.

This was a no money down transaction. I didn’t use a dime out of my own pocket. I used my credit, and the equity in my asset, to fund the deal. And I did take on risk that I would be able to renovate, sell, make a profit, and repay the loan. I’ll take that risk because I trust what I know and have learned from CS and many others.

Yea, you may be thinking, but you have an asset with some equity! Yes Frank, I do, and I created that equity through renovations. My wife and I took out a loan for 150K, put down $15K, bought the house for 130K, and used 20K for renovations. Last month it appraised at 255K. I now have a bank loan up to 105K. All my deals will be no money down.

I’m not saying this was easy. Finding the right house took 9 months of driving neighborhoods. Interviewing, hiring, coordinating, (and firing) some of the crews was tough. But it was exciting, too. And I’ve never made 100K faster!

If you really want an education about re, join your local Real Estate Investment Association (reia) group. There you will meet flesh and blood players who have made lots of $ in re and done many no $ down deals. If you really want to make an informed decision about all this stuff, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

But you are not going to go, are you Frank? Let’s be honest: you don’t believe in all this stuff. People can reason with you all you want, you disbelieve us. Perhaps we are CS spies. Perhaps we are deluded and are so whipped up into our own desperate delusions, we are not able to see the truth you offer. Holding on to these re morsels are the only opium we poor, suffering souls have left…

Frank, I’ll give you this: you have big kahunas to denounce re investing (a la CS) on a re investing board. Since you can dish it out, Frank, I assume you can take it as well. So here it is: there is an air of arrogance about your post, Frank – you, the enlightened graduate student, with your keen intellectual acumen, are going to help all of us less educated souls see the error of our ways. We need to give up this folly, and work harder, and get more traditional education. Like you. Then we can improve our lot.

Let me suggest to you, Frank, that it is perhaps you who are wrong…

I do agree with you on many things: CS uses all the traditional hard sell techniques, he preys on peoples desperate fears and hopes, he could care less about me personally, his students (I suspect) confuse cash flow with income and net worth with property value, lots of con artists exist that use similar methods, most “get rich quick” methods don’t work, etc. etc. etc.

It’s just that you are wrong about two very important things, Frank: real estate is the greatest, proven wealth builder of all time. And – surprise, surprise – CS system actually ain’t a bad beginning course for $180! I woulden’t do deals with just the CS system; but, hey, I did the deal described above and I didn’t have CS or anyone else at the time! (If I only did, I could have made even more money and fewer, costly mistakes).

Perhaps, Frank, it is you who are wrong. Can you accept that, if it is true? I’m not being flip with you, Frank. I just don’t know that you are ready to accept the truth.

Have you noticed this yet, Frank? That the smartest people you know make far less then others with average (or below average) educations? Why is that?

This post is getting way too long. Honestly, Frank, I don’t think you are ready to accept the truth that more education and hard work are NOT the path to financial security. What IS the path is having one’s own successful business, and rei, as a home based business, is the best of the best. I posted to you because I can relate to you: I had your attitude, I used to believe in and went to much traditional education (all boys New England prep school, Yale undegrad, Tulane grad, working on Tulane Ph.D before dropped out to pursue re and build wealth)I used to believe that hard work would make me enough money until I saw how my successes made others rich while I still lacked, and I used to make fun of CS until I stumbled onto something: namely, the wealth building power of re through the renovation of my own home.

The truth wasn’t hard for me to accept: $ is $. When you make money at this Frank, you laugh at those who say it can’t be done. I just doubt you are ready to accept the truth; it would mean too many cognitive and behavorial changes that you are probably not ready for.

Let me leave you with this one, final thought Frank: your personality fits the educational system; that’s why you have enjoyably progressed from one level to the next. That system implicitely suggests that success within it will produce success in life. When all you have really known is school, and you are successful in school, it’s normal to feel that you will be successful in life. That’s not the case. Life is less controlled than school. The knowledge it takes to succeed in the real world is different that academia. What you love, academia, is an artifice of a capitalist economy. Capitalism needs good workers: those who show up, work hard, are well educated in their tasks. Education really exists solely to produce good workers: nice bees like you who are specialized in a task, believe in no other way, show up, and work hard. Good boy. Thanks for the service. Here’s a gold watch.

Become a benovolent capitalist instead. Take the wonderful, horrible ride of running your own business, even if only in your own part-time. You’ll make a whole lot more money. Perhaps you don’t need money yet; you will some day. Especially once you have a family and want a house.

Finally, Frank, read these two books: Creating Wealth by Robert Allen and Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. And – by all means – consider that you might be wrong.

From one overeducated, underexperienced, fired-up, newbie re investor,

HR

What Sheets Course Says About Itself - Posted by SPM

Posted by SPM on December 22, 1998 at 22:13:43:

I don’t have any doubt that many of the success stories on the Sheets infomercial are somewhat fantastic. But in evaluating the course, you have to ask, what does it actually say about itself?

It says, if you’re looking to buy a home for your personal residence, the course will help you find one with little or no money down.

If you’re looking to buy your first investment property, again with little or no money down, the course will also help you do that.

But the course clearly indicates that it is only a starting point. If you want to make a career out of real estate investing, this is just the first step. It clearly indicates that, in order to succeed in real estate investing, one must be continually educating his or herself…but then, that goes with any worthwhile endeavor, doesn’t it?

I have no love for overly-intense marketing “hyperbole” (“hyperBULL”?). It does make everything seem so much larger than life. It also seems questionable that there would be such extreme “success stories” told on the infomercial, when the course only promises something much more down to earth.

But in these simple areas, buying your personal residence, or buying your first investment property, the course does deliver. Had I studied it before I purchased my home last year, I would easily have saved far more than the $180 I later paid for the course.

As for investing, yes, I can purchase properties right now, even in my own tight, competitive sellers market, with little money down. (Think now, “little money down” on a house or apartment building, painful though it may be, amounts to 5% to 10%.)

I’m not sure about “no” money down…yet…but then, I’ve not finished digging around here. I’m still calling realtors, sellers, mortgage brokers and other people to get an “education” about my local market, an education I never would learn through anyone’s course, any college degree, or any other way other than good old-fashioned “OJT”.

But I wouldn’t even be out there digging around if it were not for Sheets, and the other courses and books I’ve read. All in all, I’ve not yet purchased enough study material to equal what I would have spent in a single semester for comparable instruction. Yet, I’m confident, right now, that I could purchase an income property with 5% to 10% down, and turn over a good passive income. It’s not as fantastic as the stories on the infomercial, but with what I’ve learned from the course, I can do what it says I should be able to do.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by AL

Posted by AL on December 22, 1998 at 20:28:50:

Frank, I would like to help you achieve the ultimate goal of gaining financial freedom. Two years ago I decided that I no longer wanted to work and make money for other people and companies. Carlton Sheets’ program is what helped me to achieve my goal. I believe a lot of the responses that you received were from people that feel sorry for your situation. Sorry, because they realize that Carlton Sheets’program can HELP you gain the knowledge required to be successful. Like any other program (including graduate school) you have to work hard, acquire the information, and apply the knowledge.
The program alone will not make you successful, but what you do with the information provided by the program is what will determine your success. You are welcome to email me with any questions and I will be glad to help you, but I will not waste my time entering into debates.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 22, 1998 at 19:01:58:

No offense but most college courses (even at community college level) cost more than $180 when you include the books. And you have to invest a minimum of 4 years to even get a degree. And the degree gives you no guarantee for success. College teaches you how to work for someone else so that you can make them rich and beg them once a year for a raise. (I know my 4 year degree gives me this wonderful privelage too)

As for no one being able to do what Carlton claims. Have you read any of the success stories on this website? Many people are making money using ideas that Carlton and others have provided. Have you ordered his course? It has a money back guarantee. I have it and have made thousands $$$ from the info he has on it.

Keep your mind open. Maybe Carlton is not for you. But someone else may be the one you need.

Best wishes.

P.S. Don’t go around asking your college professors how to make more money. They will probably tell you to work more hours, get a 2nd job, or ask for a raise. If you really want to find out ask someone making the money you want to make, not some college professor who can probably tell you within $1000 what he will be making 5 years from now.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Lisa

Posted by Lisa on December 22, 1998 at 18:39:26:

Hey Frank, good for you! You started a great thread of discussion. Personally, I got a PhD six years ago, have been a professor since, and still only make $50,000 a year. I work my AS* off and don’t have much to show for it except gray hair and kids in daycare all day long.

I just bought the Sheets course a month or so ago, and I am almost ready to buy a home. I have learned so much about real estate that I never knew existed and I attribute it all to the course. The $180 is peanuts compared to what I’ll earn on my first deal.

Good luck to you and to us all! Life is what you make it (and how smart you are about working the system–that’s the beauty of CS for me).

Re: Sorry Bub! - Posted by George

Posted by George on December 22, 1998 at 15:32:36:

You’re 100% wrong. Carleton’s courses have saved me many times my investment on every deal. I say courses, because I also purchased his “graduate” programs. All told, I’ve probably invested $350 with Carleton. Guess what, saved $1500 my first deal with one little clause that I got from Carleton. That doesn’t count what I’ve saved by not using an attorney for any deal. Of course, you must be semi-intelligent and realize that the infomercials do not show the typical students, but rather the exceptional ones. In fact, there’s a disclaimer that states that. While I admit that no money down deals are rare, my partner and I closed two deals in September with “cash back at closing”. Out of pocket expenses amounted to $90 for two termite inspections prior to close. Got that back and more at closing.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Maryanne

Posted by Maryanne on December 22, 1998 at 13:56:44:

Frank,

I hope when you realize that you want to be self-employed and not just working a J O B, then you’ll come back and read not only this newsgroup but Newsgroup 1 and all the how-to articles and success stories. Skepticism is one thing, but closing the door completely could lead to a life full of grand expectations that fell short of its mark. Don’t let yourself be one of those “What if” stories. Explore possibilities, and expand your thinking. The very best of luck to you.

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Russ Sims(Wa)

Posted by Russ Sims(Wa) on December 22, 1998 at 12:01:21:

Frank: I really admire your Christmas Spirit. Keep being cynical. The rest of us CS graduates will be laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe you’ll even be our tenant.

Look, the fallacy of your attitude is that you think that if it sounds too good to be true, it must be. So you dismiss it out of hand. I bought the CS course knowing I could get a refund if it seemed like a scam. It didn’t. Everything in the course is based on sound, proven RE investment principals. I saw the logic in the techniques. My first deal resulted in me being able to sell my tiny home at full market value without paying a brokers commission . Then I moved into a larger, nicer home and I’m having a tenant on my property pay most of my $700 mortgage. This first deal saved me over $300 a month. If I do 4 more deals of this caliber in a year I’ll have a $1500 a month passive income. That is in addition to my full time video production job (which I have a 4 yr. degree for).

CS is not the be-all-end-all of RE investment. But he’s a great place to start.

Merry Christmas
Russ Sims(WA)

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Michael

Posted by Michael on December 22, 1998 at 11:54:59:

Frank:
I have just received my medical degree in May but I actually knew diddly about money and real estate, sadly enough.
I bought his course to help me buy my first house since I really didn’t have a clue being a renter all my life (of 31 years). I bought mine no money down, being 150k in debt with med school loans, with shoddy credit.
Maybe you are right that his course is a scam because so few act upon it when they buy it but that’s their problem ---- they aren’t being scammed so much as not acting out of fear, much like the fear that paralyzed me so many years. A house is a major purchase, and most aren’t willing to put the time and effort that the course descibes (and Mr. Sheets states in his infomercial).
You never know until you try—but maintain your attitude and failure will surely follow!

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by Hector

Posted by Hector on December 22, 1998 at 11:47:41:

I think the answer lies in the first sentence of your post. Obviously you weren’t tackling the books at 3 AM like you should have been because you were listening to what Carleton Sheets was saying, curiousity made you look into this a little more (that is how you found this webpage)and now you’re trying to save us all from the scam artists! I agree with you that most infomercials are scamming a lot of people and people with your attitude probably feel scammed by Carleton Sheets but the real determining factor whether this will work lies with every single individual and what they do with the information they gain from the material. This is no different from the book knowledge you are getting now. You are learning how to go work for some engineering firm, law firm, insurance company (if you’re a med student) to make them richer or more successful. I on the other hand, believe that the education of mastering the art of “creative negotiations” will get you anything you want in life at a negotiated price. Knowledge, my friend, is the key ingredient and Carleton Sheets merely plants the seed of knowledge in each of our heads. Some people are able to take what they learn from the course and become successful with it. Others like me, read other books, talk to other successful people, monitor newsgroups like this one, to gain more knowledge in real estate investing. An investor is continuously getting educated in learning how money and assets (such as real estate)can work for them in making them richer or more successful. I am a college grad who worked for at least twenty years of my adult life but on Dec 26, 1997, I quit my job and I’ve gone a whole year without working…but I have a monthly cashflow which pays for my living expenses and bills. I pay cash now because I don’t want to pay creditors. If on a whim I want to fly to Las Vegas with my wife for a mid-week show I’ll do it without having to put in for vacation or ask my boss for time off. My point is, is that the tiny seed of knowledge that Carleton Sheets plants in your head is up to you in what you do with it. You can let it die or water it till it ripens and provides you with an abundance of fruit but with an attitude that all things are bad, a fraud or a scam, you’ll be needing a lot of fertilizer for anything to grow inside your head. Best of luck to you in the working world!

Re: Carleton Sheets (and company) - Posted by drew

Posted by drew on December 22, 1998 at 08:12:17:

Dear Frank:

Boy, you must have quite a bit of time on your hands. How do you juggle such a full schedule of watching infomercials, finding and posting messages on news groups, and attending grad school?

By the way, why are you wasting your time, money, and attractive personality in grad school???

Seems like you already know everything…

drew
(Recovering grad student)