Carpet Cleaning - Posted by Tim Berger

Posted by ann on January 23, 2000 at 15:06:22:

The carpet I am dealing with is brown.
It has what they call "woven in " pet hair. Mostly white.

I recently discovered a way to get it out. The vacuum
will not pick it up. The only other thing that works is a
steele bristled dog brush. No thanks.

I went to WalMart and got the rubbery non-skid
stuff that comes on a roll, I think it is designed
as a non-skid underliner for a throw rug, silverware tray liner, etc. It has a waffle -type pattern. It’s in the cleaning supplies department.

I wrap a piece of it onto the broad flat attachment of the
vacuum cleaner attached to the pole and holding the pole, “scrub” the carpet. This
causes the hair to ball up into itself, so that it can
then be vacuumed. It does not adhere to the rubber thing.
Yes, it’s fairly labour-intensive, but it works
very, very well, and I’ve tried everything, including
standing on top of the vacuum cleaner attachment that has the rolling brushes,
artist’ spray mount adhesive on paper, stiff broom, flea comb,and horses’ Show Sheen to soften the hair.

I’m surethis is better than aiming a blowtorch at the
carpet and hoping the hair will burn to ashes before
the carpet melts. (I’ve tried everything, but thought
of even more!)

I hope this helps someone.

Carpet Cleaning - Posted by Tim Berger

Posted by Tim Berger on January 22, 2000 at 22:27:57:

What products work best when it comes to cleaning stains out of carpet? The carpet was new six months ago. Would it be best to rent a commercial carpet cleaner and hope for the best…or just start over with all new? If the latter, where would I look to buy carpet for a rental?
Thanks,
Rookie in Ohio
Tim

Re: Carpet Cleaning - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on January 29, 2000 at 16:38:28:

Tim,
Most small stains can be cleaned by using a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water in a squirt bottle and then blotting the area. You should not scrub the stain as it will get into the fibers and be harder to get out. If this mixture does not help than you can call a professional and they will give you solutions depending on what the stain is.
hope this helps.
Tim

Hot water - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on January 25, 2000 at 08:20:07:

Most stains are dirt or water soluble. A squirt bottle with a little cleaning solution is used to wet the affected area. Brush the solution in and blot with a towel or sponge. Finally you can use the rug cleaning machine with hot water to go over the area and rinse out the soap. If you do not rinse with hot water and leave the soap in the carpet it will get dirty again faster. Non-water soluble stains require other cleaners as mentioned.

Re: Carpet Cleaning - Posted by d.henderson

Posted by d.henderson on January 23, 2000 at 07:59:19:

If the carpet was new 6 months ago, I would try to spot clean it first. Renting one of the carpet cleaners is iffy at best unless you really know how to clean carpets, you usually end up with a wet, stretched carpet. I look for sales on carpet cleaning companies. They will usually clean a room and hall for a cheap price and you will get it done right. I’d rather be looking for houses.
We have a construction company so we save all of the good used carpet and have someone lay it, then have it cleaned if it needs it. The carpet layer cuts out the worn and runined spots. Saves a lot of money. Get to know a contractor that you can buy this way from or look in the want ads for used carpet. I always want to know if they had inside animals. Just some ideas,
Happy investing,
Dee-Texas

Berber? Re: Carpet Cleaning - Posted by Steve (FL)

Posted by Steve (FL) on January 23, 2000 at 07:45:49:

We had Berber carpet installed in our new home. While it’s not as plush as traditional carpet, there are virtually no signs of any wear on after 16 months. It seems to clean easier, too.

Re: Carpet Cleaning - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on January 22, 2000 at 23:10:56:

A little while ago, a guest spilled RED WINE on our nearly new, off-white carpet. We had a professional service do a dry chemical cleaning to treat the stain, but it did not do the trick.

I called the carpet retailer that supplied the carpet and asked what they could do about the stain. They recommended an aerosol spot remover product called “Dry-It-Out”. Three or four applications and the stain was “evaporated”. Cost about $10 for a 14oz can, simple application instructions. Try your local retail carpet merchant. Perhaps they have a miracle spot remover that would work for you.

If you decide to replace the carpet, my suggestion is to go with a tan color that is between beige and brown. It is a neutral color that hides a lot of tenant wear and tear.