Carpet or Not - Posted by ChuckP

Posted by Jen-LA on May 05, 2000 at 12:17:02:

I agree with you! It usually costs more to refinish wood floors properly anyway. nt

Carpet or Not - Posted by ChuckP

Posted by ChuckP on May 05, 2000 at 08:57:51:

I just closed on house and I’m sitting on the fence as to whether or not I should put new carpet in. I have about 40K of equity in the house and I plan on painting it inside and out.

The carpet is mostly good, but some spots are really bad like by the kitchen. I have a carpet guy who will do me for about $10 a sq yard, carpet plus install. The house is a 3/2 with ~1700 sq ft.

Would the carpet help the place move faster? I’m looking at about $1400 to have it installed.

Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Carpet or Not - Posted by GregNorman

Posted by GregNorman on May 08, 2000 at 11:34:40:

Chuck,
To save a little bit of money, keep the padding and just put new carpet overtop (unless cats/dogs).
GregNorman

YES TO CARPET. nt - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 06, 2000 at 18:08:34:

Re: Carpet or Not - Thanks Everybody - Posted by ChuckP

Posted by ChuckP on May 05, 2000 at 19:41:48:

Thanks Everybody! I just gave my carpet guy another assignment.

Chuck

Re: Carpet or Not - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on May 05, 2000 at 09:26:10:

No doubt new carpeting will help to move the house quicker since it would show nicer.

How are you planning on moving this property? Seller financing, L/O, or just looking for a qualified buyer to get their own financing?

If your offering to sell on terms then consider this:

Don’t put new carpeting in and offer additional choices to the buyer. Bump the selling price a little to cover the carpet cost and give the buyer a choice of either having you put the carpet in or deducting the cost from their down payment and letting them decide on what they want to do and handle it themselves.

The neat part about this idea is that you’re not going to be out any extra money up front if your structure it right.

Lets say you would finance with $5k down. Tell the buyers they will need $7500 down, but if they want the property “as is” you will credit them $2500 towards the down payment instead! Just ad $2500 to the selling price and you make more profit on the deal! You can get it done for $1400 and since your bumping it up by $2500, your actually making an extra $1100 on the deal regardless of which way the choose to go. Not bad just for offering a little more creativeness in the deal to help attract a buyer. :slight_smile:

CARPET IT! - Posted by steph in tex–i mean hawaii

Posted by steph in tex–i mean hawaii on May 05, 2000 at 09:23:21:

in my experience, buyers can’t see beyond the need for carpet and paint.
With that kind of equity…do it. you’ll be glad you did.

steph in tex

Re: Carpet or Not - Posted by Mark In Okc

Posted by Mark In Okc on May 05, 2000 at 09:13:53:

Carpet will help sell much faster. I always put in all new floor coverings in my rehabs.

I AGREE… CARPET IT! - Posted by Soraya

Posted by Soraya on May 05, 2000 at 11:38:39:

I have a tendency to underestimate the time it will take to finish painting, putting carpets in and putting new tile in kitchen and baths. I seem to always put my ad in the paper a few days too early. When people call to see the property I end up telling them I will show it in three or four days from now. Some people insist that they can see beyond the carpet etc. I agree to show property. Every time I agreed to show property before it was finished I regretted it. They never bought. They could not visualize what the property would look like after new carpet and flooring was installed. Property that is “spotlessly clean” with new paint and carpet will command a higher sale price and will sell more quickly. CARPET IT!!!

Soraya

What about hardwood floors? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on May 05, 2000 at 10:24:19:

Suppose the house is older and has all hardwood floors. Would you carpet over these or what?

LeonNC

Re: What about hardwood floors? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on May 05, 2000 at 13:24:45:

Leon,
I just purchased a home that has hardwoods throughout. I have never refinished hardwoods in any other home. I have always done wall to wall carpeting, but this home I will not do that. It is a 2500 sq. ft. home with about $70k in equity. Putting wall to wall carpeting in this home would kill my chances at a top dollar sale.

Steve

What about hardwood floors? It DEPENDS!! - Posted by Soraya

Posted by Soraya on May 05, 2000 at 11:46:35:

Is the property for you to live in or for you to rent out or sell? What is the condition of the hardwood floors? Do they need to be refinished? Will it cost more to refinish the hardwood floors that to carpet? Would the property look better with hardwood floors or carpet? If house is a Victorian, or a really nice house, refinished the hardwood floors. Otherwise Carpet it.
Soraya

$6 a square foot and an oldtimer told me… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 08, 2000 at 06:35:02:

if you’re renting refinish the hardwood, if you’re selling carpet. his logic is that hardwood is more durable for heavy tenant use and carpet when brand new impresses the buyers.
However, I have done the opposite in some cases. An older home particular a victorian deserves hardwood. But if come rooms are particularily bad or you’re moving wall partitions then may be carpet.
I’ve tried harwood in rentals particularily where there is NOT a tenant above a tenant. like SFH or TH. where there is a tenant above the seconds floor should be carpeted for sound dampening.

I’ve also mixed and matched using some hardwood and some carpet in same place.
hth
David Krulac

Re: What about hardwood floors? - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on May 05, 2000 at 15:21:40:

Steve, what kind of costs are you looking at to refinish the floors and how old is the house?

Thanks!

Scott