Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Steve

Posted by ski on March 19, 2006 at 18:04:58:

Are you keeping it or selling. If keeping, which I suspect since you mentioned an appreciating area, I would cover it with cheap carpet and redo the floor just before you sell. The carpet will protect the floor from damage done by the tenants.

Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 14, 2006 at 16:31:40:

I know if the house was in a good neighborhood I would definitely refinish the soft wood. But it is in a so-so neighborhood. If it were real hardwood I would also do it. But I believe it is a doug fir. I can carpet the area for around $400 or refinish for around $800- $1000. Is it worth while?

Re: Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Mark(wv)

Posted by Mark(wv) on March 19, 2006 at 14:38:10:

Steve, Did you know that you could lay some of the new lamanite flooring for as low as $1.00 per sq ft. ?
I just completed a office at 846 sq ft for $1200.00 including trim and a swifter mop to clean the constuction dust up with.

Re: Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Mark(wv)

Posted by Mark(wv) on March 14, 2006 at 19:03:24:

Hard to tell not knowing any more than what is posted. in this area it would be heart pine and yes it would be worth it, that fad now days is hard wood or any wood will do.
It does sound a little high for a refinish job , but then again we don’t know the size or area.

Re: Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on March 14, 2006 at 18:58:08:

are you renting it out or selling it? I take it that it is a low end price range also?

One thing that I’ve done is paint soft wood floors with porch paint. Its cheap, its durable, and it looks decent. Its also easy to maintain and if it gets scratched you just apply more paint.

If you rent its almost a guarantee that the carpet will be stained before it wears out. Rental carpet seldom wears out. And with painting you don’t need to sand the floors either.

Re: Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 14, 2006 at 19:49:06:

It is around 300sq/ft only. It would cost around $400 in carpet ($12/sq yd) or $800ish to refinish the wood. The area is one that is lower end for sure, but some what improving. But definitely appreciating in value in the area.

Re: Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 14, 2006 at 19:04:30:

It was a rental now we are selling it.

Re: Carpet ot refinish soft wood - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on March 16, 2006 at 12:24:45:

That seems high for refinishing the floors. I would get four or five bids and see if you can get the price down.

Gene