Cat Odor But No Cats - Posted by Ray

Posted by Rick(CA) on March 16, 2001 at 18:16:35:

Thank you Anne for your testimonial! *S I’m assuming that you own a Alpine Living Air yourself.

As a independent dealer, I’m always glad to hear other people attest to the benefit of them. I can talk till I’m blue in the face about how I use them personally before reselling properties, but because I also sell them (purifiers), my opinion is “biased”. lol

Just wait until you get a skunk nearby (or in the case of a homeowner) spray under the house. It not only knocks out the odor, it does it fast! I think cat spray is nothing compared to that awful smell! lol

Cat Odor But No Cats - Posted by Ray

Posted by Ray on March 16, 2001 at 08:27:23:

I am a tenant but wanted to get the perspective of a property owner.

I have lived in a nice 4-plex for 5+ years. A new tenant has moved in and her cat and cat litter is literally smelling up the other units. It is nearly unbearable.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I should best address this with the owner of the building? Do you think he can do anything about it?

Thank you.

Re: order a catscan (nt) - Posted by Dr. Canine

Posted by Dr. Canine on March 17, 2001 at 08:00:08:

Re: Cat Odor But No Cats - Posted by Ken (ILL)

Posted by Ken (ILL) on March 16, 2001 at 21:38:22:

One thing to do is to get together with the other tennents and draw up a letter to this tennent.Try diplomacy 1st. If that doesn’t appear to work, write a tennent’s letter to the landlord stating that if the smell worsens, you will all have to find somewhere else to live. If that doesn’t get any action, maybe it would be better to try to find a new place. If the landlord doesn’t provide you with a livable environment, HE is breaking the lease (if you have one).

Re: Cat Odor But No Cats - Posted by ANne-ND

Posted by ANne-ND on March 16, 2001 at 09:32:35:

Ray,

Tell your landlord, hopefully the owner may care enough to do something about it. It sounds like the cat owner has an unneutered male cat, and he (the cat) should be living somewhere else; he’s probably suffering too.

In the meantime, you could get yourself an ozone-producing air cleaner to keep your own breathing space clean. These things aren’t cheap (around $500 depending on how you buy it), but you’ll get immediate relief. Maybe you can convince the landlord to buy one for the hallway too.

Good luck,

Anne
(cat owner and landlord to cat owners)