Cat odor - Posted by Bruce Barilar

Posted by Jorge on August 11, 2003 at 09:08:12:

I am glad these machines helped you and your family out! And if you know anybody that needs a few of these, let me know. I am selling them from 200 bucks instead of 500! Thanks.

Jorge

Cat odor - Posted by Bruce Barilar

Posted by Bruce Barilar on August 10, 2003 at 10:51:52:

Help, I’ve rehabbed a house that had severe cat odor. We thought we had it under control, but with the heat it has returned. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Regards,

Bruce Barilar

Re: Cat odor - Posted by TKP, Houston

Posted by TKP, Houston on August 11, 2003 at 24:03:02:

Bruce, Since you have already rehab’ed you may try to spray with liquid “Fabreeze”. Be careful, do not use to much. TKP, Houston

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Lydia

Posted by Lydia on August 11, 2003 at 24:02:53:

The Glidden guy I heard talk about paint at a REI meeting said “pigmented shellac” by “Zinzer (?)” was the only thing that would work 100% on pet and smoke odor. I asked if Kilz did the same thing and he said “no”. Maybe sometimes Kilz works and sometimes it doesn’t?

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Scott Bullen

Posted by Scott Bullen on August 10, 2003 at 22:40:23:

When at a Ron LeGrand convention two years ago, there was an engineer manning a booth, selling a product which purported to deal with urine odor. He said that it is a product engineered to deal with animal urine odors in several ways which is the latest in high tech.

I purchased the product and found it to be everything he said it is. I have used it on a half-dozen houses since, with 100% success. It has also worked on cigarette smoke odor for me.

I liked it so well that I bought a case of it, for the purpose of using it myself at a discount and selling the rest to other investors at a small profit.

If you are interested in purchasing a bottle for $35, which will treat one to six houses in most cases, email me back and I will get it to you.

Another comment - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on August 10, 2003 at 20:14:58:

Forget trying to get the cat smell out of carpet, carpet pad etc. It wont happen. Just rip it out and replace.

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on August 10, 2003 at 20:12:00:

I bought a house in simular condition. I had to remove the carpet, tack strip then seal the concrete floor with the kilz put on extra thick. Then I sealed with kilz the walls from the knees down all the way around the house. After spending several days sealing everything up. I left for a few days expecting to return to a fresh house. I stepped thru the front door and freaked out. The smell was as bad as ever. But, here is where I screwed up. As I ripped out the old carpet and tack strip I just thru it in the garage. The smell over a few days migrated thruout the house. Once I figured out the the garage was the problem i bribed the trash men with $40 bucks and they stuffed all the old carpet in their trash truck. The smell completely went away. I would not say the house was fresh as a daisy even after new paint and carpet, but you could not tell that the oder was from cats.

If your smell is really bad in a few areas you can just rip out the drywall and replace.

Re: Cat odor - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on August 10, 2003 at 20:01:20:

Might call some companies that remove the smell from fire damaged properties, they might have something that will help. You say you’ve already rehabbed, so repainting would probably be a pain in the butt. If the smell is coming from the floor, you can just roll back your carpet and seal the floor. I forget what the name of the product is, but Lowe’s shoudl be able to help, and the fire restoration people might give you ideas.

Your insurance agent can probably give you a couple of #'s for the restoration guys.

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Newbie

Posted by Newbie on August 10, 2003 at 18:06:36:

Not tried it myself, but wouldn’t cleaning the house top to bottom with bleech do the trick?

Re: Cat odor - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on August 10, 2003 at 17:00:10:

Bruce,

That is a tough one. I have had some luck with Kilz. You may want to give it a shot before calling one of those high priced companies to come and get the odor out.

Great Success,

RichV(FL)

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on August 10, 2003 at 15:55:47:

Bruce:

That’s a tough one. Some people say they have success with Kilz (a paint sealer) some with other stuff. I have tried all sorts of stuff and in one case had to go in and take out the subfloor and startover.

If you find a good material or method please post back here for the rest of us.

Good Luck,

=======>Bill

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Jorge

Posted by Jorge on August 10, 2003 at 13:23:13:

There is a company called Ecoquest INTL. that sell air purifiers that does wonders. I got involved with them last year but with a 50+ hour a week job and the rest of the time Real estate learning, investing… I didn’t have time to pursue it. SO I got stuck with about 5 of their units. THey are kinda expensive though. From $350 to $700. So do some research on the company and let me know what you think… I am trying to get rid of mine below what I paid. (motivated seller here:) Or you can buy it from someone else at retail. I am just telling you this because I have seen them do wonders.!!

Good luck,

Jorge

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Bruce Barilar

Posted by Bruce Barilar on August 11, 2003 at 21:06:21:

All the posts have great. Yours has intrigued me. What would be the application procedure? Can I use it on a rehabbed house? Is it a once and done, or a couple of treatments?

Thx,
Bruce

Re: Cat odor - Posted by Phillip

Posted by Phillip on August 11, 2003 at 24:32:09:

Hi Jorge,
Got a few of those units myself. They work great! My wife has less allergy problems, kids don’t stay sick, and best of all, I rarely see any roaches in my house. I haven’t sprayed since placeing the machines over a year ago. I used to use a lot of $$$ and chemicals trying to get rid of them with no success. (The roaches not the wife and kids.LOL)I also have a testimony from a lady that runs a pet boarding house stating how effective these machines are at getting rid of pet odors.
The machines got rid of the flood smell in Mom’s house after Huricane Allison. I noticed the funky sardine smell in the kitchen where she feeds the cats also disappeared. Then she told me to take the machines home. A couple of months later I noticed the sardine funk had returned and the flood smell came back at a low level.
Seems “if” these machines are to be used to reduce or rid a house of smells they must be left there. If a new owner comes along, they may not like the monthly cleanning schedule and decide to unplug it. Smells return and now you get a phone call. Some how I see an attorney getting involved.

Phillip

Re: Cat odor - Posted by ROGER

Posted by ROGER on August 10, 2003 at 23:40:03:

I.m a newbie to r.e but to solve your problem. go a jantorial chemcial supply house and your problem can be solve with advice from people who deal with oders all the time .you may have to use some elbow grease but they should help you with this