cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by Pete

Posted by Tom – IN on August 03, 2001 at 09:59:27:

Go to OdorXit.com and take a look around. Although you will still have to replace the pad under the carpet, you may not have to replace the carpet itself. But it’s worth trying the OdorXit on the wood floors before you do anything else.

cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by Pete

Posted by Pete on August 03, 2001 at 08:05:32:

I looked at past posts regarding this topic but wondered if anyone had any more advice on removing the odor from wood floors. I’m looking at a house that wreaks and the carpet has already been removed on the first floor. I would remove the upper floor carpet and re-carpet everything, too, but need to treat the wood flooring first. I read about using multiple coats of Kilz. Any other ideas? How about also putting down a plastic barrier before the padding and carpet?

Re: cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by Lor

Posted by Lor on August 08, 2001 at 17:22:00:

I have used baking soda, borax, muriatic acid and Kilz in the past. I discovered a new product at pet stores called Nature’s Miracle. There is also a knock off called Simple Solution. It is a natural enzyme product that actually eats urines. It is not cheap and will only work if it’s the first product you use on the urine. By the way, I was at home depot last week and saw a new carpet pad advertized as pet resistant - meaning it had a plastic barrier on top of the padding. I plan to use it in the future. Carpets can be pulled and cleaned of pet ordor. It’s almost always the pad and wood floor that absorbs the odor.

Re: cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by Alan Paine in Houston

Posted by Alan Paine in Houston on August 06, 2001 at 24:35:28:

Here is the address of a post by Lori Samson now in the archives. I had it saved.

Good Luck

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2001/arc_24/24337.html

Re: cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by Buddy

Posted by Buddy on August 03, 2001 at 19:56:37:

I just finished a house with mega mega dog and cat urine stains and odor. The odor is easy to remove with lots (I mean Lots! of baking soda (10-15 large boxes per room), left in there for about 4-5 days. Then I place an open 20 lb bag of charcoal in each room and leave it for about a week. This usually works. I cannot however, ever get rid of the stains in the hardwood floors. I’ve tried bleaching, sanding, etc. and its just too deep. So, I usually just do the above and sand the floors, then carpet them. I do like the idea of bins or kilz oil base as this will work well too, then a nice coat of lacquor would make a nice look for the floors while sealing in the odor

Re: cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on August 03, 2001 at 13:48:50:

Pete,
Just got done with a house that had a rotweiler left locked inside for 3 weeks. I pour white vinegar on the floor (50-50 with water) and wet mop it on. Really wet. Let it dry for a 3 or 4 days and then coat with one heavy coat of Bins sealer, oil not latex. Pour the Bins on the floor and spread it heavily with a roller. Thats it. DanT

Re: cat urine on wood floors and sheet vinyl - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on August 03, 2001 at 11:05:51:

Pete:

I just had a terrible situation with this very issue. A (large) Condo, with 21 CATS, and the son of the property owner, who knew the place was going to sheriff Sale, and didn’t provide a litter box, or clean-up after any of the cats. It was an undescribable situation !!!

I removed carpeting and tried Odor-Xit, and several other products, without any success. I scrubbed the less affected areas with 1 to 1, bleach and water combo, and a stiff brush; repeating numerous times. In the areas where the bleach did work, I then painted all the floors with (Oil Base) Bins Sealer. The Latex product (Kilz or Bins) wouldn’t seal the residue of remaining odor. In some heavier effected areas, I needed to apply two and three coats- of the sealer. In the heavier soiled areas, cleaning was no match for this pet damage. It took replacing the OSB, sub-floor and some of the bottom plates of the walls, and lower drywall, where the cat unrine had run under the walls, and been left to sit.

Hopefully your pet damage will be less intense than what I encountered, but I have had no luck with these type of enzyme odor problems, short of the above comprehensive approach.

I definitely earned the $$$ that I made on that project…

JT - IN