Checking Credit on Tenant - Posted by Bill_AL

Posted by John Merchant on August 23, 2003 at 11:33:00:

Wow! What a nice thing to say. I’ve gotta save this to show my Probation Officer :wink:

Checking Credit on Tenant - Posted by Bill_AL

Posted by Bill_AL on August 20, 2003 at 14:47:54:

Last year I put a tenant-buyer in a property. They have been late on their monthly payment 5 straight months. Do I have the right to run a credit report to see how they stand at this time?
Bill

Re: Checking Credit on Tenant - Posted by River City

Posted by River City on August 22, 2003 at 09:18:40:

Call one of the local credit agencies in your area and speak with a supervisor. Ask them what you have to do to run credit on a tenant.

Re: Checking Credit on Tenant - Posted by Bill_AL

Posted by Bill_AL on August 22, 2003 at 13:09:53:

I know how to run credit on someone. My question involves whether I have a legal right to run the credit in this case. Nevertheless I appreciate your answer.
Bill

Re: Checking Credit on Tenant - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on August 22, 2003 at 18:24:17:

Yes you do have. If you’re doing business with someone, or cotemplating doing so, and any decision of yours depends on their credit, you have the right, without their express permission, to run their credit.

e.g. you’re looking to maybe buy Betty Buyer’s promissory note on Blackacre, but you want to make sure her credit’s OK. You’d have the right there to do so, and you’ve got the right now IF their credit rating makes any difference. If these folks are already in your house, it may be too late, because what difference can their credit make now, to you?

So if it’s truly irrelevant now, I’d advise against your doing so; if it IS relevant, proceed.

Re: Checking Credit on Tenant - Posted by Bill_AL

Posted by Bill_AL on August 23, 2003 at 10:59:57:

John, I want to say how much I appreciate you and others who take the time and trouble to help us on this and other forums. Your willingness to share your knowlege and experience is incredibly admirable.
Bill