Cigarette Stench - Posted by Loren Eaton (FL)

Posted by Sean on April 09, 2007 at 08:56:31:

Yep, the tar on the walls will suck up even the best SEALANT, better plan on at LEAST 2 coats of Killz, and 2 coats of good high quality paint MINIMAL.

Cigarette Stench - Posted by Loren Eaton (FL)

Posted by Loren Eaton (FL) on April 07, 2007 at 15:31:18:

Hi All,

I’m looking at a property, which I like quite a bit except for the stale cigarette stench that hangs over just about everything inside. Any sage tips for cleansing the property of the odor?

Re: Cigarette Stench - Posted by WeRealtyDo!

Posted by WeRealtyDo! on April 10, 2007 at 15:34:58:

You have two solutions which I know will work:

1. Tear up everything in the property and replace with new stuff

OR

1. Something I learned a long time ago, scrub everything with hot soap water and purchase an odor eating machine. If you are handy you can make your own odor eating machine. However you will need one for each room if you want it to really work. Here is what you need:

*1 honeywell fan, you know the small ones that you can hang on a wall, the small round ones.

• A empty bucket, a tall empty paintbucket will do, but a empty store purchased one works best.

• A drill

• Some odor eating liquid, there is plenty out there just go find it, and make sure it is in liquid form so you can pour it.

• Some foam

• Finally some Soil Moist; yes, the stuff you put in the soil to slowly feed plants.

Here is what you do, you drill holes into the empty bucket. All of the holes should be at least 4 inches from the bottom of the bucket so as the bucket can still hold some liquid. Make sure you drill a bunch of holes. After that pour your soil moist over into the bucket. Next rip the hinges off of your honeywell fan, and fit the fan face up into the bucket with the foam and make sure it is super tight so it can not move, but leave a little slot so you can pour your odor eater. Finally pour your odor eater into the bucket, and watch the soil moist swell up.

Now plug it up and turn it on! I promise you this works, it gets rid of almost any smell! Just make sure you clean the area you want the smell gone out of first. You can also use carpet fresher instead odor eater and soil moist, but it won’t last long and will only mask odors.

This works great if you can not afford a cleaning company, and you have some free time on your hands.

Happy Investing!
WeRealtyDo!

Binz Sealer - oil base product - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 08, 2007 at 11:47:43:

Loren:

You have received some excellent input, except for the suggestion of the use of Kilz. If the cigarette stains are particularly bad, it will not cover nicotene. For the worst of the worst nicotene riddled house, I have had far greater success with the oil based Binz Sealer than Kilz oil based or latex product.

I once had a particularly disgusting cigarette house, and it was amazing that the owner was still living; Yuck. We washed down the walls with detergent, several washings, then TSP, then applied latex Kilz. Bzzz, no cigar. Then we stepped up to oil based Kilz; Bzzz, Bzzz, no success again. So I consulted with the most professional painting contractor that I know, he immediately said that the oil based Binz Sealer would do the trick. He was exactly right, and I have been an advocate of Bilz or Kilz ever since… (and I have no interest in that company either).

Good luck on it.

JT-IN

odorxit - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 08, 2007 at 07:34:49:

I have no interest in the company, and this is not an ad or commercial, they are located in Ohio, but ship everywhere. President is Marty Meyers, who I have spoken to and he is very helpful and knowledgable. website is www.odorxit.com

Re: Cigarette Stench - Posted by BrianD

Posted by BrianD on April 08, 2007 at 24:37:35:

Aside from the Kilz, I’ve used the odorless Pro-Block from Sherwin Williams. In reality it’s not odorless, but it does have less of a smell than the Kilz. I have multiple apartment units and it’s worked for me every time.

Other than that, I’d follow David’s advice, which is straight forward. I may have learned something new as well, as I’ve never heard of that Odorxit stuff. I’ll have to check that out.

Re: Cigarette Stench - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 07, 2007 at 19:15:24:

1. KILZ stain killing paint for the walls, ceiling etc.

2. ODORXIT, liquid odor smell killer

3. clean or remove all soft materials, rugs, carpets, drapes, furniture

4. air out open all windows.

5. you will probably need kilz plus 2 coats of high quality paint to cover the carmel colored stains.

6. I speak from experience as I once painted a bar.

Re: Cigarette Stench - Posted by dannj

Posted by dannj on April 07, 2007 at 19:13:47:

Try an oil based primer/stain blocker. I’ve used KILZ with great results on cat urine and that’s much worse than cigarette odor. You may just want to replace whatever you can’t paint.

Re: Binz Sealer - oil base product - Posted by Joe Kaiser

Posted by Joe Kaiser on April 09, 2007 at 18:01:36:

Doesn’t work on carpets, though. :wink:

Joe

Re: Binz Sealer - oil base product - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 08, 2007 at 20:57:32:

I looked at a house recently where the house was the worst that I’ve seen, not counting the bar i painted. The place reeked of cigarettes, carpet, drapes, furniture and all the walls and ceilings were carmel colored. The smell was so bad after 6 months of being unoccupied that somebody with me immediately started coughing. The last owner has passed away after living there for 50 years at the age of 84.