city wants rentors out. - Posted by Dave C in STL

Posted by Judy on March 13, 2000 at 10:51:54:

Did the city say they were breaking some fire law or safety requirements?

How can any say that people can’t live together? What does your city do in the case of same sex lovers?

Just a thought. Good Luck!!!

city wants rentors out. - Posted by Dave C in STL

Posted by Dave C in STL on March 11, 2000 at 07:00:50:

I have a situation in which my son and 3 guys are renting a house from me. The city defines this as a single family dwelling in which should be used by 1 family, i.e. 1 or more persons occupying the dwelling and living as a single non profit housekeeping unit. The city wants all nonfamily members out in 10 days. Any advice?

How Did The City Find Out? - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on March 11, 2000 at 10:41:38:

Dave,

Sorry, no advise - just curiosity ? what brought your son?s living arrangement with his roommates to the city?s attention? In the past, I have rented a single family home to roommates with no problems. It was a 3BR SFR rented to 3 women each of whom worked AND attended college. I never had any trouble with the tenants and the city authorities never came knocking on their door to find out how many people were occupying the house. To be honest, I?m not even aware whether or not an ordinance exists prohibiting such a situation in my area. What caused the city to become aware of the number of people in your property?

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: city wants rentors out. - Posted by Robert McNeely

Posted by Robert McNeely on March 11, 2000 at 07:04:38:

Contact the HUD office for “Fair Housing” in your area. Sounds like this may not meet the federal guidelines on family status.

Re: How Did The City Find Out? - Posted by DaveC in STL

Posted by DaveC in STL on March 12, 2000 at 19:48:07:

I’m not quite sure, but with all the kids friends we think the newly hired rent a cop thought there were too many cars for the place and started running license plates on all the cars there over a period of time. 2 of these kids are pharmacy students and 2 work. The city says they only act when a complaint has been lodged, but I suspect it’s the police. I will ask when I call the city tomorrow, tho.