Classic Lonnie scenario - Posted by Tim- Indy

Posted by RobertR CO on February 09, 2000 at 19:26:36:

Another technique I learned from Lonnie or someone on this site works especially well for appointments made several hours or a day or more ahead of time. Ask the prospective buyer to phone you one hour before the appointment just to confirm they can make it. I tell them to leave a message on voice mail if they do not get me. (My voice mail pages me to let me know as soon as a message is left. I do not tell them about the paging part.)

Let them know you want a call either way but if you do not hear from them confirming the appointment you will assume something came up and they cannot make it. This eliminates most no shows. Then depending on what I thought of the buyer and my motivation I may even call them to confirm even if they do not call at the appointed time.

Cordially, Robert

Classic Lonnie scenario - Posted by Tim- Indy

Posted by Tim- Indy on February 08, 2000 at 17:47:39:

I bought a very clean older mobile home in December of 1998 for $1,800 cash. Advertised and sold the home with owner financing in February of 1999 for $5,075.00 a little money down, 36 months, 12.75% interest (actually financed $4739.13). That was a tough winter, ice storms, rural area which didn’t allow anyone to even get to the park to see the MH…anyway, I digresss. Now the buyers have decided to move into a new house and would like to sell the MH. In order to boost my return, I offered a payoff of $2800.00 cash (since, after almost a year, I believe I have my intial investment back). They claim they have done some improvements (repairs, a deck, etc.) and would like to receive more than their $2,800.00 payoff and possibly more that their $3,700.00 real payoff.
My inclination is to wait them out, until they find out they cannot sell to a retail buyer and cash themselves out and offer to forgive the note with another qualified buyer at the $5,000+ selling price. Basically, start all over again.
My main problem is that now I’m about 5 hours drive from the property and can’t show it like I did when I lived just down the road.
ANY IDEAS?

Tim

Re: Classic Lonnie scenario - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on February 09, 2000 at 02:56:28:

I think you have an excellent opportunity to endear yourself to the Park Manager or their assistant,and let them do the work for you.

Have the PM keep the keys to the home. Create a small sheet that ask for the Name, Phone number of the person viewing the home. Ask the park mananger to hold the person’s driver’s license and give them the keys to the home. Then when they return the keys, they get their driver’s license back and one of your business cards. (The PM compares the name on the driver’s license to the name on your phone log.)

You call the PM every so often and get the names off of the phone log to follow up in case some don’t remember to call you (especially if they have to call long distance).

You kick the PM a $100 finders fee for their efforts. It takes no time at all for them to do this. They make an easy $100. You sell the home without being there. The PM gets to screen the buyer’s on the spot if they show an interest and can hand them a park application on the spot.

You can easily have the PM perform much of the leg work for you, with minimal effort on their part. This would appear to be a win/win scenario for everyone.

I personally hate no shows. This would save you a 5 hour trip to have 1 out of 3 potential buyers not show.

Best Wishes For Your Success,

Tony-VA

Re: Classic Lonnie scenario - Posted by Earl

Posted by Earl on February 08, 2000 at 20:21:05:

Tim, you can buy a lock box from Home Depot ($19) and put the keys inside them. Screen your callers and if they pass your standards after first driving by, picking up application, faxing back and looking at the exterior, you can then give them the code. I used the lock box to sell the last 2 mobile homes. It sure made it convenient for me. I never met the buyers, until I picked up my deposits. I sold each home in about 2 weeks.

-E-

Or you may ask a neighbor to show the home. - Posted by RobertR CO

Posted by RobertR CO on February 08, 2000 at 19:41:41:

Tim,

If the manager will not show the home, ask a neighbor and pay a fee. Locate a neighbor by asking the manager, using a cross reference directory by address, or by making one 5 hour (or is it 10 hours round trip?) drive.

Cordially,
Robert

Re: Classic Lonnie scenario - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on February 08, 2000 at 19:10:03:

What about having the park manager show it and pay them a fee when it sells.

Only 1/3 No Shows? I Should Be As Fortunate! - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 09, 2000 at 08:58:13:

In my foray into Lonnie Deals, my experience is about 2 out of 3 don’t show. And this is after I specifically ask them to phone me back if their plans change and they’re not coming. The last few that didn’t have the courtesy to make a 30 second call got a call from ME, waiting at the MH with my cell phone in hand. And they had the audacity to answer their phone and make some BS excuse!! After I gave them a mini-rant about common courtesy, I’m sure I’ll never have any deal with them, but boy, did it make me feel better!

BTW, great ideas in your post above about working with the PM.

Brian (NY)

Buyers must be motivated. - Posted by RobertR CO

Posted by RobertR CO on February 09, 2000 at 19:31:26:

Earl,

I like the concept. These must be highly motivated buyers to fill out an application before they see the inside of the home. Our market is a hot sellers market but I am not sure yet if it’s that hot.

Cordially, RobertR

PS I know some sellers who just leave the back door unlocked. They tell me “What do I have to lose?”

Re: Only 1/3 No Shows? I Should Be As Fortunate! - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 09, 2000 at 09:33:54:

My no shows are few and far between because 1. I give them the address, leave the blinds open and tell them to go see it themselves first. 2.When they call back I prequalify them on the phone and try to get close to a meeting of the minds so we are on the same page. 3. They usually always show (before me).
Your time is too important to waste. Work smart, not hard.