Classified Ads and "banned" language - Posted by Ken (NJ)

Posted by Matt (MPD) IL on July 12, 2002 at 20:07:42:

Ken,
I’m not sure with regard to the state laws in NJ but only licensed individuals here in IL need to worry about “puffing” thier advertisements. There is a list of words that the newspaper will not allow anyone to use and most of it is due to protected classes but you can ask them for a list and they will be happy to give it to you. Other than that, just don’t lie. If it IS convenient to NYC bus and train or it IS within walking distance of the new school you shouldn’t have any problems. You’re only going to get into trouble if you word the ad so as to sound discriminatory or flat out lie.

Matt Yohnk
MPD Investments Inc.
myohnk@mpd-investments.com

Classified Ads and “banned” language - Posted by Ken (NJ)

Posted by Ken (NJ) on July 12, 2002 at 19:29:46:

Does anyone have a list of or a link to the word and phrases to avoid in classified ads? I am going to sell a house, and plan to advertise in the newspaper. I want to avoid being sued for having inadvertently put the wrong language into the ad.

For example is, “Convenient to NYC bus and train,” bad? Or how about , “Within walking distance to new school?”

Thanks!
Ken (NJ)

Elliot-Larsen Act (Mich) - Posted by Scott Ewing SW MIch

Posted by Scott Ewing SW MIch on July 13, 2002 at 12:16:40:

Sec 502 "A person engaging in a real estate transaction, or a real estate broker or salesperson, shall not on the basis of religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, martial status, familial status, to preserve the confidentially regarding arrest, detention, or ather disposition in which a conviction does not result, or disability of a person or a person resideing with that person: (condensing now) 1. refuse to engage in a trasaction 2. descriminate on terms or conditions or furnishings. 3. Refuse an offer 4. Respresent that property is not available 5. use any form of advertisment which indicates an intention to make a preferance, limitation, specification, or discrimination. 6. Licensees only- accept a listing with knowledge that owner will engage in any of the above. Hope this was helpfull. Scott

Re: Classified Ads and “banned” language - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on July 12, 2002 at 20:53:42:

You won’t be sued . . . the newspaper will. That’s why I can’t run an ad with “handyman” in it, even though I’d like to.

I’ve worried about a lot of things in this business, but ad content ain’t one of them.

Joe

Re: Classified Ads and “banned” language - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on July 12, 2002 at 20:29:04:

I think these words that can get you in trouble:
Near private Episcopalian Church school
Near Jewish community center
Perfect for married couple
No children allowed (Except in certain cases)
Perfect Italian community

I have a list, but can’t find it right now. The list of “banned” language is so large now, you can get in trouble for things you wouldn’t think were offensive.