cleaning a nasty - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve-WA on January 15, 2003 at 13:52:49:

!

cleaning a nasty - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve W (WA) on November 11, 2002 at 09:21:41:

After the garbage is all gone, I have (among other things) slightly tan ceiling panels throughout my investment - cigarette smoke.
Will paint alone do the job, or will Kilz be a necessity? Time is the factor here, not expense.

and the ballots are in . . . - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve W (WA) on November 13, 2002 at 20:34:07:

Well, Kilz is now my interior ceiling color of choice. The worst ceiling in the house is now shiny white - just have to finish up. I have heard of Kilz cracking and peeling in short order if not painted over, but I have not seen it - we’ll just wait & see!

Thanks to all for replying with your opinions and experience -

Re: cleaning a nasty - Posted by James Buster

Posted by James Buster on November 13, 2002 at 20:33:11:

What’s Kilz?

Joe C. is right on! - Posted by Dr B. (OH)

Posted by Dr B. (OH) on November 13, 2002 at 19:43:19:

Steve
In my previous life I was a remodeler and painted numerous smoke stained ceilings in houses. My first time I painted the ceiling 4 times before I went and got a sealer. Kilz (original) is the answer. Throw away the brush and roller cover when your finished. It’s not worth the time, effort, and mineral spirits to clean them.

I just painted a 30 yr. old smoke stained MH ceiling with one coat and it looks fine.

Re: cleaning a nasty - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on November 12, 2002 at 24:12:06:

I do 2 coats of kilz (original)on all ceilings. I don’t find a need to paint over the kilz. I consider it my ceiling paint and have had no complaints.
Joe C. (AR)

Re: cleaning a nasty - Posted by DONB(CO)

Posted by DONB(CO) on November 11, 2002 at 13:01:38:

Diluted bleach water and scrub brushes will clean it, paint is probably best because it will have the appearance of being done right. Kilz does work well at hiding water spots though.

the archives have . . . - Posted by swwa

Posted by swwa on November 11, 2002 at 09:27:12:

. . . a little bit on smoke odor coverup, but that is less of an issue than appearance for this case, I believe.

Of course, there are other more offensive odors right now - once the floors are sealed I may smell the ceilings, and have to seal them anyway.

Kilz - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve W (WA) on November 13, 2002 at 21:11:43:

Kilz is a brand name of a primer sealer. It is a white color, and will seal in odor sources, cover water, smoke, and mold stains, among others.

There is an oil-based and a latex flavor - people say that oil-based is the way to go. Never tried latex - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Check at the paint department of your local store with a paint department.

Re: the archives have . . . - Posted by Jerry Freeman

Posted by Jerry Freeman on November 11, 2002 at 11:49:39:

I may be wrong, so take this as a hunch, rather than a guarantee, but …

… if it’s just cigarette smoke, I think a coat of paint is all it needs.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. If anyone can confirm or correct my hunch, please chime in.

Re: Kilz - Posted by Dave (CO)

Posted by Dave (CO) on November 13, 2002 at 22:02:45:

Here’s the Kilz website.

http://www.kilz.com/index_kilz.html

It’s more than an issue of water based or oil based. There are several different types of Kilz and this site will help you choose which one i sbest for the specific problem areas. (note that the original question was about nicotine-stained sealings, and Kilz considers nicotine in the ‘difficult’ stain category.)

Based on personal experince with actual trailer interiors, it is the best and well worth the money, especially if you are painting over water stains, old panneling, etc.

Best Regards
Dave

Re: the archives have . . . - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on November 11, 2002 at 14:15:43:

Jerry and Steve,
I’ve had cig smoke bleed through the paint. You may also have a problem with the smell coming back after the paint dries. If’n it was me I’d just Kilz it (actually a kid I’d pay 8 bucks an hour would) and paint over that. I just HATE doing work twice 'cause I got impatient the first time. Also the Kilz makes the paint stick to the paneling really well so it won’t peel later.
All the best, Lyal

Re: Kilz - Posted by Angela Major

Posted by Angela Major on July 01, 2003 at 12:25:56:

I have a brand new wrought iron head board, i would like to finish it in a dark gray, the colors from hammerite for gray are to light. can you help me?

Re: Kilz - Posted by Judy and Mike Kennedy

Posted by Judy and Mike Kennedy on June 27, 2003 at 24:43:56:

We purchased the new Kilz paint in Bright White to paint over a soft baby pink. We are so very disappointed in the performance of this paint. Coverage is extremely poor, drying time is way too fast, causing a skin to form on the paint while it is in the paint tray. We just finished the second gallon of this paint and now must purchase a third to cover an 8x10 room because the coverage is so poor. We do not like the design of the bottle. When you pour the paint, it does not run back into the bottle like it should, it sits in the crevice and becomes gummy and nasty to deal with. In short, we are disgusted with this paint. We thought we were making a good choice because we have used the Kilz primers, stain sealers in the past and have been very pleased with their performance. The lot # is 3B07114/0618, both gallons purchased at Walmart for 16.96 each plus 7% tax. Please advise.

Re: Kilz - Posted by Jose Burgos

Posted by Jose Burgos on June 10, 2003 at 13:35:44:

I will like to know if your company has a distributor at Puerto Rico. If is so please contact me at 787-273-9594 or sent me an e-mail with the information. The e-mail is my co-workers, but you can write me.

Thanks,
Jaime Sanchez

Re: Kilz - Posted by maxine

Posted by maxine on January 03, 2003 at 07:30:51:

can i put kilz on top of plastic tile in the bathroom and then paint it?

Yep! That’s the truth (NT) - Posted by Marc Donovan

Posted by Marc Donovan on November 11, 2002 at 21:16:55:

NT

Re: Kilz - Posted by Dave Starr (CO)

Posted by Dave Starr (CO) on January 03, 2003 at 07:54:34:

I have no idea as to the answer to that question. I posted the contact information exactly for the reason that people could get the real information diretc from the horses mouth so to speak. Have you gone to the Kilz website and/or asked your question of their tech support?

I will advise though that painting anything over tile… if it should happen to adhere, would look pretty terrible, IMHO. I think I know the plastic tile you are referring too … although I don’t belive I’ve seen any since I was a boy … just how old is that trailer anyway? LoL. Foe my money I’d strip it off and replace it with Marlite paneling … realtively inexpensive and goes up fast.

Best regards
Dave

Re: Yep! That’s the truth (NT) - Posted by Pedro Gonzales

Posted by Pedro Gonzales on January 15, 2003 at 02:07:29:

This was a very helpful piece – never heard of this “Kilz” before. How much can one anticipate spending to get 20’ x 55’ done? Including labor? Thanks?