Closing Cost-% of sale price or loan? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by Marcos on July 22, 2002 at 11:50:22:

Why not just do a flat amount? I mean I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference one way or another. Think about it.

$100,000 Home purchase at 10% down(not that anyone ever puts this much down anymore).

6% of Purchase Price = $6,000
6% of Loan Amount = $5,400

But, I think in reality, it’s going to be closer to 5% down, and you’ll end up saving $300. I just don’t see the issue.

I would just offer a flat fee if you’re that worried about it. Hey, I’ll give you $3,000 towards your closing on a $100k house.

Marcos

Closing Cost-% of sale price or loan? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on July 22, 2002 at 11:08:38:

In the past, as a seller, I’ve offered to cover the closing cost for the buyer as an incentive. This has been negotiated as 6% of the purchase price. But I’m thinking that may be too expensive. Should it be 5-6% of the MORTGAGE AMOUNT or 5-6% of the PURCHASE PRICE?

Thanks

Re: Closing Cost-% of sale price or loan? - Posted by Larry

Posted by Larry on July 22, 2002 at 14:46:17:

I am currently working as a morgage broker, and in my opinion I would stick with 3%. This is the most allowed by conventional loan standards and also the most allowed by some sub-prime lenders.

Re: Closing Cost-% of sale price or loan? - Posted by Buck

Posted by Buck on July 22, 2002 at 12:08:06:

I just asked my father, a loan officer at a mortgage company your question. Closing costs vary in percentages of a loan or sale. They consist of several fixed fees and possible points on a loan. Around here they are about 3-3.5%.

If you are trying to figure out how much to offer to pay, calculate your price, property value, etc and if possible, add in the “maximum” you will pay toward closing.
“Owner will pay up to $3000 in closing.” If closing is less, great, if not the buyer pays the difference.
Or you may agree to up the price to pay more if the buyer has room to do so in his mortgage.

Good luck.

Buck