Cold Weather Painting - Posted by Chris

Posted by Tim Jensen on December 18, 1999 at 21:30:24:

Chris,

I do not reccomend painting in the winter. The paint does not cure properly. I would wait til the temp is at least 45-50 before painting.

If you do decide to paint anyways, I would use a latex paint.

Good Luck,

Tim Jensen

Cold Weather Painting - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on December 18, 1999 at 20:13:58:

I have a house that I am rehabbing that needs exterior paint. The problem is that we are in the middle of winter and it is COLD. Does anyone have any experience with the kind of paint that you can use in near freezing temperatures? How well does it work? Is it more exspensive? Thanks for the help.

Cold? You want Cold? - Posted by Bert G in ND

Posted by Bert G in ND on December 19, 1999 at 15:22:29:

Depends on what you call cold. I have friends in Texas who are cold at 60. In No.Dak we have picnicks when its 40. But we don’t paint then.

As a former paint salesman, I agree with what everyone else has said. Don’t paint if it will be below 50 degrees Farenheit within 12 hours after painting.

And protect your buckets of paint from freezing. If Latex paint gets below 32, it turns to cottage cheese and is unusaeble. (We had an entire shipment lost that way once, over 2,000 gallons.)

BG

Re: Cold Weather Painting - Posted by Jim Pasquini

Posted by Jim Pasquini on December 19, 1999 at 12:00:23:

My folks are paint contractors in Fresno, CA. Contrary to popular belief, there are some areas in California that get pretty cold. For all intents and purposes they don’t do any exterior painting this time of year. Why do it when you are just going to have to come back and do it again? It never pays to do it twice.

If you have to get it done you might do a test with this additive on a small area to test see what kind of results you get. I’d rather burn a quart/gallon of paint to find out for sure rather than take the word of a paint store guy.

Re: Cold Weather Painting - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on December 19, 1999 at 09:54:35:

I hear there’s an additive that you can use that lowers the temperature for painting. I believe I heard you can get it at Sherwin-Williams.

Havent’ tried it…had a painter tell me it worked pretty well.

Personally I wouldn’t use it unless I had a small area to do that HAD to be done. I’d wait for the temperatures to warm.

JPiper

Re: Cold Weather Painting - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 19, 1999 at 08:31:20:

Chris,

You’re wasting your time and money trying to apply paint to the exterior of a building in the winter. As Tim says the paint will not cure and will not stick to the surface for very long.

Do not even consider painting unless the temperature is at least 50 degrees.