college rental question - Posted by SteveOH

Posted by Jay on May 15, 2006 at 11:50:13:

If you are going to rent to college students, protect yourself. They generally tend to be very rough on your house.

They can cause a lot of damage to your property, not to mention upset a few neighbors with all the noise.

Now, going in knowing this CAN happen, you can protect yourself. I would check them out throughly.

I have one college rental. I make their parents co-sign the lease and a special add on for damages. They are responsible for all damages.

It is more work, but college towns are profitable. I also up my rent for this house - because their are 4 in my house.

Just document (take video, pictures, etc. of the condition of the house before they move in). I also go around and talk to the neighbors and give them my card. I ask them to give me a call if there are things going on that I need to know about.

It is up to you. Weigh all the pros and cons.

Oh, you need to check with the city to see how many people they will allow to reside in the house. That one is big. This may answer your question for you.

Good luck with your situation.

Jay

college rental question - Posted by SteveOH

Posted by SteveOH on May 13, 2006 at 06:50:35:

I just found out that my tenants-to-be were turned down ny
the university. They’re juniors and the university is now
enforcing the “seniors only can live off campus policy”. This house has previously been rented for $1350 and they would round up 6 students that knew each other and got along. Now,
we’re late in the game-school’s out in less than two weeks-
and I’m trying to decide whether to go for the $1350 or to
go for one renter at a time and at least try to cover my
mortgage payment. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!