comparable sales analysis - Posted by osirus

Posted by B.L. Renfrow on May 31, 1999 at 13:06:47:

Although many of the folks here are very pleased with this service, I too find much of their data to be WAY out of date for my area. There are plenty of transfers around here within the last 1-2 years which I know for a fact to have taken place, that are not included. Guess it all depends on where you’re located.

comparable sales analysis - Posted by osirus

Posted by osirus on May 31, 1999 at 01:09:06:

I have found a service which will provide with “comparable sales search” for $10-20$ depending whether or not I decide to to become a memeber.

What can I expect to be the typical result? Specifically, will the result be a list of homes with similar age, square footage, selling price, bedroom, bathrooms etc as my target home? How do I take into account differences in neighborhood quality if my target house is not in the same street/neighborhood as the the comparable sales results.
How up to date does comparable sales need to be for it to be reliable…weekly…monthly…yearly? Are there any other factors I should take into account in trying to figure the FMV or after repair value for my target house?

Try a FREE one first… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 31, 1999 at 01:20:54:

Osirus,
I NEVER pay to have comps done.
I either have a RE agent pull them for me, or I go to this website and get them myself.
Here is the URL:
http://www.octitle.com/tamain.htm

You do have to “sign up” but it is FREE.
You then have a passowrd and name and can access the info 24/7.
Why pay?

also, the “recent sales” for me are the good comps. I will go as far as year in my area, but the last 6 months are usually best.

Hope this helps,
Jim IL

Re: Try a FREE one first… - Posted by Carolyn

Posted by Carolyn on May 31, 1999 at 22:21:41:

Hi, I have been at the octitle site and it is really good however, it doesn’t cover my region of the country. Would any of you happen to know of a FREE/or small fee Comparable Sales Analysis site for the Norfolk, Hampton Roads area of Virginia? I have never been able to find one yet. It’s like looking for and needle in a haystack. I’ve found these sites to handle almost everywhere but here. Any help with this would make such a difference for me. Thanks everyone! Carolyn

Re: Try a FREE one first… - Posted by GINO

Posted by GINO on May 31, 1999 at 12:51:53:

Jim,

I have found the Transfer dates and Transfer amounts on that service to be inacurate many times. i.e transfer amounts of 600k on a property that would appraise for $120k. The info also seems to be pretty insufficient. Curious to see if you’ve noticed the same thing.

Gino

Oops, sorry about the double post (nt) - Posted by B.L. Renfrow

Posted by B.L. Renfrow on May 31, 1999 at 13:48:05:

nt

Re: Try a FREE one first… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 31, 1999 at 13:15:20:

In my area the information does not provide comps…but it does provide tax assessor information. The only problem is that there are widespread inaccuracies. I noticed one property I bought almost 3 years ago that still shows the prior owner as the owner.

I wouldn’t rely much on this info.

JPiper