Completely New to This - Posted by Mark

Posted by Rich on March 27, 2006 at 20:52:02:

I would add - don’t think you have to buy into a “mentorship” program or pay for mentoring time. You can also connect up with more than one mentor, because sometimes they will disagree and sometimes they will be wrong. I have several I talk over deals with that I have encountered while looking for properties. Each is more experienced in what I want to do than I by a lot. I should note that in soime cases we do business together. This is where I can size someone up. There are plenty to talk a good game, but would be poor choices for mentors.

One other criteria, a good mentor can walk you through deals they have done (one showed me his TIC contracts when I was exploring those).

Completely New to This - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on March 27, 2006 at 14:56:34:

I know this must have been posted a billion times, and for that im truly sorry.

However, i would really like some basic advice on where i should start. I have read many of the posts and informative articles on this website, but truly dont understand some of the ‘jargon’ people use. This is by no means overwhelming, i would just really like some kind of “before you do anything do this…” kind of advice.

Thanks greatly

Mark Halewood

Re: Completely New to This - Posted by RogerTX

Posted by RogerTX on March 27, 2006 at 18:20:08:

I wholeheartedly agree with Dutch but would add getting a mentor. Mine taught me just what Dutch said and had I met him first I wouldn’t have bought the houses I have and I’d have a lot more money in my pocket.

Every job I ever had they had someone show me the ropes. Why so many think they can skip this step is beyond me. A mentor will keep your feet out of the fire and make you more money faster than any other way. My mentor works with people around the country. Interview some till you get an idea of what’s being offered and pick someone you’re happy with.

Roger