Comps online??? www.iown.com has died... - Posted by Byaka

Posted by Mark (WV) on March 05, 2001 at 07:33:08:

I agree also ,I checked the other day on Yahoo,the house they had listed as sold for 50 k was one I had bought for 15.5.So I wouldn’t count their numbers as gospel.

My .02
Mark (wv)

Comps online??? www.iown.com has died… - Posted by Byaka

Posted by Byaka on March 04, 2001 at 15:11:29:

Hi,

I have been using www.iown.com for quick comps in my area (central PA), and now I find out that this website had been bought by CitiGroup. One of the first things they did was killing that comp service.
Are there any other web sites that provide selling price information?

Thanks in advance.

Dmitry, PA

Thanks people! + Here is one more… - Posted by Byaka

Posted by Byaka on March 05, 2001 at 11:19:12:

Thanks to everybody who participated in this discussion. I finally was able to find a site that provides info about my area (Central PA) - it is called iPlace.com - It looks like the Yahoo! site uses their engine. I absolutely agree with you that these sites are good only for a quick and dirty number - one has to dig much deeper to get actual comp values. For example, the search I did showed that on a street where the houses are in the $110-120K range, two were sold for $1,150K!!! Somebody typed in an extra zero when putting the data in the database…

Anyway, thanks a lot and happy investing!!!

Dmitry

Re: Comps online??? www.iown.com has died… - Posted by Steve (OH)

Posted by Steve (OH) on March 05, 2001 at 07:08:06:

Also try: www.titleadvantage.com

It is very helpful and the account set-up is free!

Steve

Here are 2 more… - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 04, 2001 at 22:14:46:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/realestate/homevalues/

and

http://americanloansearch.homepricecheck.com/

Re: Comps online??? www.iown.com has died… - Posted by Monique

Posted by Monique on March 04, 2001 at 17:17:20:

Byaka,

I was bummed to see that they killed the comps portion of the site as well.

I used to go to domania and octitle (both good suggestions from Jim) only when I could not find what I was looking for at iOwn.com.

Frankly, the distance parameter (i.e., find all comps within an 0.X mile radius) was the best. If you find a replacement site, PLEASE POST IT.

One thing you might want to check is the website for your local newspaper. Many newspapers are publishing online now. Some even have a Comparable Sales section for the area that their newspaper covers. Could be a decent replacement.

Monique

Try These - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on March 04, 2001 at 15:19:35:

Dimi.

You can use ___http://www.domania.com or ___http://www.octitle.com

Both are very good information resourses for investors. I use these two all the time, and they are both pretty much in the ballpark when it comes to getting good comps. Check them out!

I’m sure there are more good sites as well and others will help guide you in those directions as well. I’ll be checking back to see what others have been using too.

Good Luck and Good Investing!

P.S. I am formerly from Pennsylvania myself. I lived in the North East part in a small town called “Wilkes Barre & Scranton”

Jim

Monique! - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on March 04, 2001 at 18:59:56:

Monique

Domania.com provides the distance parameter feature and more. Check it out!

Jim

Anon makes a good point - Posted by Monique

Posted by Monique on March 05, 2001 at 06:39:57:

Jim,

I actually agree with Anon that the info that iOwn, domania, etc is not the final word on comps. These sites really provide recent SALES data, not COMPARABLE SALES data.

Frankly, I’ve used them for very quick and dirty numbers about a neighborhood that I’m not familiar with. For true comps, with an accurate comparison of bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage, I’ve got to dig much deeper than what these sites provide.

But, nothing beats having some kind of information at your fingertips when a Seller calls and says they want $200K for a house in a neighborhood where everything else has sold for $140K.

Monique

Re: Jim! - Posted by Anon

Posted by Anon on March 05, 2001 at 24:24:38:

…and it can be just as inaccurate as iown.com! Get the right comps info, people, or your investments will kill you!

Dam! please be careful giving advice like this!