computer challenged person's question - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by TRandle (TX) on February 08, 2002 at 21:28:58:

David,
I stand corrected. Thanks for sticking with it to point out my error.

computer challenged person’s question - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on February 07, 2002 at 20:37:40:

Hello All and Thanks.
Is there anyway to make a PDF form…a fillable PDF form?
I have a Texas Real Estate Commission contract form downloaded from the TREC site. I’ve tried to copy and paste to be able to fill in the blanks but it won’t work…that’s the top level of my computer knowledge.
Is it possible? Help please
Dee-Texas

Re: computer challenged person’s question - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on February 08, 2002 at 09:31:20:

It might be easier just to use Word to create your form, but Easy PDF is a quick and dirty PDF maker:

http://www.visagesoft.com/easypdf/

Scott

Thanks to All! (nt) - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on February 08, 2002 at 07:26:55:

T

not yet, I don’t think… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on February 07, 2002 at 23:36:47:

Dee,
I’m not sure anyone actually answered your question. My understanding is that in order for the document to be fillable, it has to be created in a version that supports that function.

I have several other documents that are fillable, but the current TREC forms are not. At least not the ones I have.

So, my thinking is the answer is no. A couple of years ago, I paid someone to type the nine-pager into Word so I could work with it.

Re: computer challenged person’s question - Posted by David H

Posted by David H on February 07, 2002 at 21:16:26:

More recent versions of Adobe Acrobat (version 5.0, I think) offer a fillable PDF form. Acrobat Reader isn’t enough - you’ll need Adobe Acrobat.

Re: computer challenged person’s question - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on February 07, 2002 at 21:15:15:

Buy the full version of Adobe Acrobat and you can make fillable form fields. Well worth the price!

Re: computer challenged person’s question - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 07, 2002 at 21:02:28:

PDF is readable only, save the doucment in WORD, or what ever word processor you use, then edit.

Re: yes, already, I think so… - Posted by David H

Posted by David H on February 08, 2002 at 15:15:45:

I understood her problem to be this: How to create an PDF form that one completes electronically. Adobe Acrobat does this. From Adobe Acrobat 5.0 help:

Creating PDF forms
The process of creating a PDF form that can collect data includes several tasks:
? Creating a new form or scanning an existing form, and then converting it to PDF. For
more information, see ?Designing, building, and editing forms? on page 155.
? Generating form fields for a PDF form, and specifying type, appearance, action, and
other options. For more information, see ?Creating form fields? on page 145.
? Creating or working with an existing Common Gateway Interface (CGI) script to collect
and route form data over the Web. For more information, see ?Making forms Web
ready? on page 160.

Creating form fields
The Acrobat form tool allows you to create interactive form fields.You create a form field by defining the area of the field on the PDF document page, naming the field, and specifying its type. For each field type, you can set a variety of options through the Field
Properties dialog box that allow you to customize the field for your form. You can spell
check forms, and undo and redo changes as you make them. For more information, see

Re: yes, already, I think so… - Posted by TRandle (TX)

Posted by TRandle (TX) on February 08, 2002 at 17:14:41:

David,
My interpretation of her question is “How do I take a form that is already in PDF and make it a fillable PDF?”

Several of the Texas Real Estate Commission forms are available online in PDF. They are NOT fillable PDF, yet, as I mentioned.

So, yes, she could recreate the document and no, I don’t think she can’t make the current version fillable.

Re: Contact me for hourly rate… - Posted by David H

Posted by David H on February 08, 2002 at 18:50:25:

Uh… I think she can… I’ve started already - go here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/sgtpropllc

and look for the file in the album, and look at the first few fields. This took me less than 5 minutes.

Apart from the fact that she could print the form, and then scan it back into PDF, as per the PDF help files, TREC did not make the files read only - I was able to download the PDF and turn on the forms tool to edit it directly - that is, add the form fields - in place.

Sheesh!