Concern over MH code requirements selling 'AS IS' ? - Posted by Robert (NC)

Posted by Carey_PA on February 12, 2000 at 13:39:04:

Hey Robert,

Now by NO means am i an expert, but he may only be talking about park requirements. With some parks around here they do an inspection of the outside of the home and they will want certain things fixed before someone can move in.

with my first home i had to get new skirting for the home and i had to have the home pressure washed because of the park managers inspection, but my 2nd home didn’t need anything done to it. NOW, the insides of the homes the park manager doesn’t even look at…maybe this is what the seller is talking about. If so, I don’t think it’s a big deal myself, just put all of your costs into the price of the home.

Hope this helps even a little bit,

CAREY

Concern over MH code requirements selling ‘AS IS’ ? - Posted by Robert (NC)

Posted by Robert (NC) on February 11, 2000 at 12:10:15:

Hi all,

I’ve been informed by a seller/owner here in NC that he will sell a pre '76 2/1 in less than fair condition MH for $500 then raised his selling price to $2000 because he remembered he had just put a new heat pump it. I haven’t seen the home and only spoken to the owner briefly on the phone so there has been no real negotiation yet. He mentioned that it also needs to be ‘brought up to code’. It can stay on the lot, but I’m not up to speed on NCs code requirements. Should I be concerned about that if I’m selling ‘AS IS’?

Thanks and Good ‘Luck’

Robert

Re: Concern over MH code requirements selling ‘AS IS’ ? - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on February 12, 2000 at 18:00:00:

Robert,

Check with the city/county inspector. I am in Camden, NC, and the only think I can think of is that you cannot move a home that old into another county. You can get a moving permit as long as it does not cross the county line.

As far as coming up to building code - there may be some occupancy permit requirements in your area. Make some phone calls to the courthouse in the county the home is in.

HAVE FUN
Nancy