Concrete cracks under carpet - Posted by Rehabber

Posted by MI-Bedros on July 14, 2002 at 09:38:05:

Rehabber,

I would call a couple of concrete guys and get their views on it and i would have some come and give you an estimate this way you can talk to them about it and they can look at the cracks to evaluate whether its a big problem or not. Cracks can be filled here in MI but in san fran you live on hills and such so maybe its good to get a contractor to look at it.
Best Wishes

Bedros

Concrete cracks under carpet - Posted by Rehabber

Posted by Rehabber on July 14, 2002 at 09:25:58:

I purchased a house to flip in California through the foreclousure auction.

During the rehab, notice the 2nd floor sloping bathroom by the tub is sloped. With more investigation found hairline concrete cracks throughout the first floor.

Hmm, talk to the owner and they said they know nothing about it.

Appears the builder knew since they have done installed about 2 inches of new concrete.

So now it’s what to do. Any ideas out there.

1. don’t believe there is any problem with it since it’s been 10 yrs with no problems, but I need it investigated.
    Anyone know who to call in San Francisco Area?

2. hey found out how the ants are getting in.

thanks for brainstorming advice.

Re: Concrete cracks under carpet - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 14, 2002 at 23:45:04:

Rehabber–(CA)---------------

Check the building depart for building permits.

I’d suggest you look for the possibility that the house is sliding down the hill. Look at the house itself, concrete stairs and walkways around it, the neighboring houses, etc. You might want to talk to the neighbors about the stability of their houses and the neighborhood. Ask them if they know anything about the new contrete work.

If you are concerned about what you see or find out, you might call in a consulting geologist. There seem to be plenty in the San Fran Bay Area.

Good InvestingRon Starr***

Re: Concrete cracks under carpet - Posted by Mike in Mass

Posted by Mike in Mass on July 14, 2002 at 11:09:25:

Hey just thought i’d add my 2 cents,I used to do concrete construction did it for 6 years.
All concrete cracks really should be nothing to worry about but if you feel it nessasary check with the contractor who did the work find out if the used steel rebar or a wire mesh to reinforce the floor also you could check to see if the house was built on back filled land
If the cracks really bother you try a fine grout compound to fill them in.
As far as the second floor sloping under the tub it sounds to me like the weight of the tub is causeing the floor joices to sag.
P.S find out why they installed the new concrete sounds unusual to do that to cover cracks because the new crete will eventually state to crack to.
hope this helps =)

Re: Concrete cracks under carpet - Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich

Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich on July 14, 2002 at 09:47:48:

Might want to get a structural engineer to pass on it. Having that would cover your butt in the future.

Re: Concrete cracks under carpet - Posted by MI-Bedros

Posted by MI-Bedros on July 14, 2002 at 09:39:25:

Rehabber,

I would call a couple of concrete guys and get their views on it and i would have some come and give you an estimate this way you can talk to them about it and they can look at the cracks to evaluate whether its a big problem or not. Cracks can be filled here in MI but in san fran you live on hills and such so maybe its good to get a contractor to look at it.
Best Wishes

Bedros

If they say no big deal just fill them yourself with some crack filler from home depot.