Condemned houses - Posted by osuris

Posted by Sandy FL on April 25, 1999 at 15:22:52:

In my area, they do not issue “lists” of houses with code violations houses, nor the “unsafe structures”, I have to drive around and look. Then call the courthouse or scan the legal newspaper for the hearings on the unsafe structures. Basically even if the city gets involved, you still have to FIND the owner to buy the property from them. One other suggestion I thought was good was to approach tired landlords after they leave code violations court, or at the very least capture their names off of the court docket, and call or write them later. I am told these are some very motivated sellers.

Has anyone in Ft Lauderdale done this? I would appreciate knowing where it is I should go.

Sandy FL

Condemned houses - Posted by osuris

Posted by osuris on April 24, 1999 at 09:52:16:

Legrand reccomends making offers on condemned houses since they can be usually be bought dirt cheap. However, he did not elaborate on how the obtain lists of condemend houses. I have stumbled across six already 6 already but would like to find a more efficient way to find them.I figure I should called the people responsible for issuing permits, and the county inspectors to see if they have list of condemend houses.
Does anyone have any ideas about obtaing these list?

Re: Condemned houses - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on April 24, 1999 at 11:11:13:

Osirus,

Here in Dallas you can get a list of code violation houses. Dallas is one of the most aggressive cities for tear down houses that I have seen. They also have a periodic hearing on those going thru that process. They are sources of leads but many times are too close to the war zone.