Condo Homeowner Problem - Posted by Amy

Posted by David H on February 15, 2002 at 16:23:50:

Sounds like it’s a combination of a lousy property manager and a careless HOA board.

Just as Frank says - do you attend the meetings? do you even know who is on the board? My experience is that nobody every wants to participate in the day to day activities, but when there’s a problem they want to complain loudly or second-guess the people who do particiate. I have no sympathy for those people.

Condo Homeowner Problem - Posted by Amy

Posted by Amy on February 15, 2002 at 14:25:22:

Question:

Our HOA company is crap. Excuse the language, but they raised dues (understandlable), but the place is still littered with trash, parking issues are a HUGE problem, owner cars getting towed, noicy, and I can go on and on.

What can I do? We refi’d our condo last month, and it was like pulling teeth to get the HOA Certificate for our Lender.

We LOVE the condo, location, lay-out, and appreciation, but cannot stand the current mgm’t com. What can we do? I have spoke with other owners as well, and they agree.

Thanks for any and all advise you can offer. :slight_smile:

Re: Condo Homeowner Problem - Posted by TomC (MD)

Posted by TomC (MD) on February 16, 2002 at 09:04:10:

Simple-

Get on the board of directors for your condo association, or at least attend every meeting.

TomC

Re: Condo Homeowner Problem - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on February 15, 2002 at 15:48:40:

Hi Amy:

Don’t they have meetings, and do you attend? Have you dicsussed this with the board?

I’m an absentee landlord, but my sister who manages the condo for me attends all the meetings, and faxes me the minutes of the meetings.

My HOA had changed management companies several times due to problems you described. Finally to save money, the owners formed committes to handle things like:

1- Changing lightbulbs
2- Pruning the shrubs
3- Sweeping the walkways

There used to be a charge of several dollars by the managemnt company to change a lighbulb. As my sister also has a condo owner in the same complex, my brother-in-law was the in house man for changing bulbs. His number is posted on the bulletin board and residents will call him when a light is out, and he’ll go on over to change it.

Because most of the litter is caused by the occupants and their guests, notes were passed around regarding littering, and fines for offenders.

In fact, I beleive the residents also hired a local retired person to sweep the interior walkways, and do cleaning.

So the management is left with nothing more than generate monthly statemnts for carrying charges and keeping track of collecting it.

I heard one management company did not think they’re making enough on handling a 104 unit complex that they thought we should look elsewhere when we complained. Maybe that’s the problem with your management company too.

If the problems bothers you, get involved and take charge.

Frank Chin