confused about skirting - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by jb (IN) on April 01, 2007 at 20:14:39:

Adam,

Thanks for the catch on the price. I corrected my post above. Buying the parts seperately then getting someone to do the skirting is where I got off track.

Mr. H is south of where I am doing my LD’s. We should get together sometime. Discuss Hoosier MH happenings, etc.

John

confused about skirting - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on March 31, 2007 at 16:17:06:

I need to know, does all new skirting come in long sections
(11 ft to 15 ft) or can you still get the type of skirting that is about 20 inch wide sections?

I was washing up some 20 inch wide sections of skirting to reuse and thought, well, maybe this is a waste of time, if replacement skirting is reasonably priced, so I came inside to use the computer.

cannot find any product like the stuff I have on three used MHs, and what I see all over the MH parks. which is lots of sections about 20 inches wide, and up to three feet tall.

I am finding websites showing 11 or 12 ft lengths by 16 inches high for about $8.50 per panel. that is the price without shipping. actually, some of the specs are given as 140 inches tall and 16 inches wide.

info/help/feedback appreciated. replacing the skirting will be one of my next projects. I need about 28 to 32 inch height.

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on April 03, 2007 at 11:09:35:

Our local Menards stores carries soffit/skirting material (they are used for both) that is 12" wide, 12’ long. I just used some of this for soffit material on an front window overhang that cut cut up pretty badly when I removed the old bay window. Looks good, and I will use it on both soffit and skirting on the other home I have. It has interlocking edges, just like skirting. Just under $10 a piece. Menards alos offers the skirting stuff, bottom channel, top cover, etc.
John

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on April 03, 2007 at 24:38:40:

Brenda, I enjoy installing skirting beccause it’s the last thing I do and they look so nice. Bought my last for a 14x66 box I believe for a little under $300 from MH supply warehouse also in Ohio. I usually just keep some on hand so it would be a little time consuming to calc to the penny. I haven’t bought any since last year so price might be up a little. A tip- I always put some type of treated lumber under the bottom rail as it makes a more level surface and helps keep weeds and weed wackers away. I’ve used everything from 3/4" boards(because I had’em) to landscaping timbers. The latter does a nice job and you may even get an extra piece of skirting out of the 11 footers. Gary

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by jb (IN)

Posted by jb (IN) on March 31, 2007 at 17:07:17:

It all comes in 11 foot lengths and you just cut it to the lengths you need. Since MHs aren’t all blocked at the same height from home to home or even from one end to the other this works pretty well. Just measure, cut, slide the edges together. Where I am I can get the pieces (skirting, ground track, spikes, both pieces that go around the top) to skirt a SW 14x70 set 26 to 30 inches off the ground for around $400.00 installed.

I haven’t bought a single panel yet but 8.50 doesn’t sound out of line. I know some folks who will collect old skirting in good condition, spray it all the same color and reuse it. I haven’t had the pleasure yet but someday when I get some space to lay some out I might give it a try.

John

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by joe-ga

Posted by joe-ga on April 06, 2007 at 20:30:30:

check with stylecrest, they have a store and main headquarters in ohio… carry everything you can thank of in mobile home suplies.

I was wrong… - Posted by jb (IN)

Posted by jb (IN) on April 01, 2007 at 20:11:42:

I went back and looked at my reciepts and put out the wrong price. Getting the skirting installed was $375 without the materials. The materials were around $400 so Adam is right (as always). As I moved appliances into a home today I started thinking that it seemed cheaper than I remembered with the $400 price for it all.

I used one of the local toter guys to skirt it. I can get you some names and #'s. I think Transport will do it amoung others.

I got the parts at General Supply or Arrow (who has now gone out of business here in Indy). I think they had several colors - white, off-white, some other kind of white, and tan.

Sorry for the misleading info. I usually don’t mess up like that…

John

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by Mr. H (IN)

Posted by Mr. H (IN) on April 01, 2007 at 18:54:38:

Having just installed skirting on a home I moved, I will throw my two cents in.

If you call your local mega home improvement store and ask for skirting, they will tell that they have it in stock. When you waste your time driving there, what they really have is 12 inch wide soffit (at this time it will be your decision to explain to the geniuses that if you wanted soffit, you would have asked for it). This a very different product from interlocking, 16? wide skirting.

Having wasted valuable time, you luckily contact a local supply store that happens to be open on Saturday and get your supplies. Off to the home to complete your project.

Just one thing. The home had skirting installed and later had vinyl siding installed. This covered up the top section of the top rail. Well, you say to yourself, at least I don?t have to worry about installing the top rail. This works great until you get to the corners. At this time, I invite you to get acquainted with all of the small creatures that reside on the underside of your home. Five days of warm weather and every stinging and venomous insect known in Indiana is out in force.

By the time you?re finished, it?s noon on Sunday and you?re ready for a stiff drink. Why, you ask me, did I go through this? The mover wanted $900.00 to install new skirting on a 14x70. I declined the bargain and decided to do it myself and it had to be done this weekend.

Lessons learned - better planning, good knee pads, find someone else to do it. John, I?m calling you to get the contact info on that skirting installer.

Later, I?ll write about my moving experience. I learned important lessons from that.

it easy to get… - Posted by Adam (IN)

Posted by Adam (IN) on April 03, 2007 at 18:31:09:

the numbers mixed up from time to time especially if your doing as many different trades in the business as you are and prices are all relative anyway depending on quality of the material, whether your doing it yourself or paying out and if your paying it out is it a quality guy or the guy from the local Village Pantry and so on

at any rate maybe some of us Indiana guys can get together like you said sometime…always nice to throw around ideas and i’d love to hear how the park’s going as it looks like the water lines are finished and i see you’ve got some new homes in!

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by TeddyB_SC

Posted by TeddyB_SC on April 02, 2007 at 16:38:52:

I’ve had I a few of those days that you mentioned, but I would have the same response you did if I got quoted $900 to skirt “any” size MH.

The materials run about $400 and I’m not paying $4-500 labor for a one-man, one-day job. That’s $50+ an hour in labor.

There’s a guy in my town that charges $250 labor to skirt DW’s and pick up the material from the MH supply store for you. He’s only done one for me since I usually do my own.

Skirting is not rocket science, so perhaps you could get a handyman and show him the basics and turn him loose. That has to be better than the prices you are being quoted.

Also keep in mind that there is very little difference in skirting a 14x70 & 28x70. Less than $100 in material.

Good Luck,
TeddyB_SC

Re: confused about skirting - Posted by David Monson

Posted by David Monson on April 02, 2007 at 05:06:30:

I’ve done a few skirting/vinyl siding jobs on homes I own and find that if I run the corners, not the siding, all the way to the ground, I can fit the skirting and all the parts right into the vertical groove in the vinyl corners. Looks great and makes a way nicer corner than bending the top rails around the corner.
Dave Fl.

hey Mr. H… - Posted by Adam (IN)

Posted by Adam (IN) on April 01, 2007 at 19:20:03:

where are you located? i know where John is just wondering if your “in the area”…at any rate, i think the price John stated was an installation price only ie. you buy the skirting kit which would cost you usually AT LEAST the price John stated so unfortunately, $900 is probably close to what your looking at especially for a toter who would almost for sure have to make a seperate trip to do the skirting

this is why i personally do like John said and use left over skirting, install myself, and spray it which looks fine…best of luck

Re: hey Mr. H… - Posted by Mr. H

Posted by Mr. H on April 02, 2007 at 12:33:52:

I’m working south of Indy and starting to look around the southern Indy area.

I was able to salvage most of the skirting from this home before the move. As luck would have it, the new location setup was too high on one end so I had to purchase some new panels.

If $900 seems to be about average, I had better get those knee pads and start planning better.