confused about the CS program - Posted by london

Posted by london on November 23, 1998 at 21:43:38:

Thank you so much, Al, for wanting to help me! I’m so lucky to have found this website. I’ll be sure to email you as soon as I get my questions together. Thanks again!

confused about the CS program - Posted by london

Posted by london on November 23, 1998 at 01:45:49:

I just purchased the Carleton Sheets program. I’ve had the course for 2 months now and I still haven’t finished it! When I first got it I was very eager to start and went through the first 10 chapters quickly but after that I didn’t understand a thing. I can’t seem to work through the math on some of the example techniques. I feel so overwhelmed with all the information. I’m a 20 year old woman and have never had any real estate or homeowning experience and I feel like the course is mostly meant for older individual’s with more experience than I. I dread becoming one of the “95 percenters” who never follow through but I’m also really frustrated with all the terms I don’t understand. I was wondering if there is anyone who has overcome this problem. I’m also interested in hearing from other female RE investors (tips, female advantages). Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, London

Re: confused about the CS program - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on December 07, 1998 at 20:15:40:

One of the things you should probably do is NOT to put all your eggs in one basket (CS course). I own the course, like it, and don’t regret getting it. But I quickly realized, he isn’t the only expert out there and isn’t the only source of information.

There are quite a few books (much less expensive) from Wade Cook, Russ Whitney, etc. that have good materials. Many times they explain the same concepts in a different way which is helpful.

I’ve been a student of many professions and have successfully navigated my way through them by immersing myself in the various information within a given field.

What I am saying is, go get some other books on Real Estate to help clarify some of your questions. It worked for me.

Getting the most from the CS Program… - Posted by Soapymac

Posted by Soapymac on November 30, 1998 at 13:14:20:

is very easy to do, if you have a plan for getting the most out of it.

With that in mind, I’ll share with you the plan that I used…and am still using.

1. Go completely through the course as quickly as you can. Nevermind that you do not understand it all yet. Just get the flavor of what he is presenting.

2. Go through the tapes a second time…this time listening to the tapes as you are looking at the printed words that are in each chapter. This takes a little longer, but you’ve got some familiarity with the material.

3. Go through the tapes a THIRD time…WITH the printed material…AND A HIGHLITER. There are some things you will want to remember. Highlight them. There is a term you don’t understand even now. Stop the tape, write down the term on a pad. When you are through with the lesson, come to the board and look up the article by Ed Wachman(sp?) that gives definition to those terms.

4. Go through the tapes a FOURTH TIME, looking at what you have highlited. It’s starting to come through, nad you are getting a general idea that of ALL the techniques Mr. Sheets presents, there is one that appeals to you.

5. Put the course AWAY for thirty days. Start doing “shadow” deals in what you want to specialize in. Use the information he provides to become familiar with your local market. Go to the courthouse/registry of deeds. Start looking for a broker to work with. Get on this board NIGHTLY and follow the “threads” that are involved with your area of interest. By now you should be chomping at the bit to do something.

6. Run through the course every ninety days as a refresher. Put together a business plan unique to YOU and YOUR situation. If you get stumped, put the question on the board. We’ll answer, believe me.

7. Put it to use…FOR REAL. You’ve got a ton of mentors here who will help you “pull the trigger” on your first deal.

8. Come back and tell us about it.

WFM (Worked For Me)

Cordially,

Soapymac

Re: confused about the CS program - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on November 28, 1998 at 18:29:48:

London,
As a woman investor who has spent some time with the Sheets material, I would welcome your email… if we can be of assistance.
Carol

Re: confused about the CS program - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on November 24, 1998 at 23:15:10:

Yes, the CS program does have some content which needs expanding. What I have done is bought other real estate books and not depend solely on the CS program as good as it is. I think by reading other people’s perspectives and strategies on real estate can only make you more successful.

They will probably have different ways of explaining similar techniques. One book that I have recently bought is the Real Estate Handbook, 4th edition by Jack Harris & Jack Friedman.

Quite honestly, Carleton Sheets was the first book. Little did I know, I would acquire MANY books by different established people to add to my libary. While this makes for a heck of a lot of reading, it gives me the assurance that I will probably have most of the information I need to conduct business successfully.
It is a nice text full of glossary terms, addresses, charts, etc.

Re: confused about the CS program - Posted by Richard J

Posted by Richard J on November 24, 1998 at 24:46:16:

Hey! It’s nice to meet another person who isn’t afraid to say “I don’t know”. I’ve had the CS kit for about three weeks and I have finished my first reading of it. I’m 33 yrs old and I can assure you that most of what I read is “Greek to me”. I hope you’ll stay in contact with this Bulletin Board because I would like to peek in at your questions and post some of my own.

I feel overwhelmed also but I’m encouraged by the positive attitudes of the CS investors. It must be working. WE CAN DO IT! I’ve set a goal to purchase my first property by the end of Jan 99. I think I would like to find a lease option deal because I have very little money to put down and I’m heavily burdened with debt. What do you think?

If you have worked your first deal, or anyone reading this for that matter, please post the details.

Richard J

Re: confused about the CS program - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on November 23, 1998 at 15:12:32:

The good news is your only 20 years old and that gives you lots and lots of time to absorb the information you need to know to get started. The Sheets course is a great course for beginers to start with. It will take a little time to absorb the information inorder for you to grasp the concepts of creative real estate investing. Remember, Rome was built in a day! You got all the wonderful people on this site to help you with answering your questions.

Read through the course a couple of times. Whenever you run into something you don’t understand post your questions here on this site. There will be people here that will be able to answer your questions so you can understand it better. Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you may have no matter how dumb you may think it is, because the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

Real estate investing isn’t a get rich quick process, its a get rich slow process. If you have the desire and the will to succeed with it, just like anything else, then you WILL SUCCEED! Read, and reread it again, ask lots of questions, learn and obsorb the knowledge, then after you’ve gained some knowledge, take action! Put that knowledge to use by exercising it by making offers. Don’t cut yourself short by cheating yourself out of taking advantage of all the information and help available to you here at this site. If you truely want to succeed with this and have the determination and desire to make it work, then you have all the help you could possibly ask for right here. The only thing you have to do is reach out and take advantage of it all.

Now lets get down to work and get you started in the right direction! Ask your questions so we can get you onto the next step. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Re: confused about the CS program - Posted by AL

Posted by AL on November 23, 1998 at 11:52:41:

your welcome to email me with specific questions also maybe we can help develop a game plan for you so you are not one of the “95 percenters!” al

Re: Getting the most from the CS Program… - Posted by M. A. Gaddis

Posted by M. A. Gaddis on November 30, 1998 at 23:41:28:

Here in California, homes are overpriced, and rent is low. Found it almost impossible to find homes that could be cosmetically fixed up, then rented with a positive cash flow. Bought CS’s “Cashing In On Foreclosures,” and ended up buying two BEAUTIFUL homes in Florida that were VA foreclosures. Rented them both almost immediately, and have a $75 and $120 positive cash flow on them, even after the management fees. I had trouble getting started. I think CS’s MAIN HELP, at least with ME, was that his training gave me the courage to try! Thank You Carlton Sheets!

thanks! - Posted by london

Posted by london on November 23, 1998 at 21:37:14:

Thank you so much for your support. I have tons of questions I DO need to ask and when I get them all together I’ll be sure to post them. I feel like I’ve joined a second family! Thanks JohnBoy!