Contract for deed & taxes - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on September 10, 2003 at 19:56:57:

Thanks for the confirmation, this is what I thought. I went to your site, but I couldn’t bring up your “l/o vs contact for deed” article. I ended up doing a search on the web & found your article from a link on another web site.

Contract for deed & taxes - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on September 10, 2003 at 16:40:10:

I have formed an LLC with another investor, our intention is to buy & rent properties. I have a few rentals now, & have always done a straight lease agreement. The other investor prefers to use the “rent to own” method, giving the tenant partial rent credit every month while treating the property as a rental for tax purposes. I am concerned about the tax & legal implications of this method.

Before we do any deals we will be talking to a tax attorney/CPA, but any input would be appreciated.

Re: Contract for deed & taxes - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on September 10, 2003 at 16:55:32:

According to Tax Court Memorandum 1999-11, a short term lease with option does not create a “sale” for tax purposes. So, it would continue to be a rental, whether or not you give a tenant a rent credit.

However, it is possible for the IRS to re-characterize a lease/option as sale, if it looks like a sale. The kind of lease/options we talk about on this board (and in my course) have a slim-to-none chance of being re-characterized, simply because they don’t look like a sale.

A sale looks like this:

• 10 year lease with option
  • Monthly payment that looks like a mortgage payment
  • Buyer pays the taxes and insurance
  • Declining option price, similar to a mortgage balance

You get the point?