Contractor factor - Posted by Kev in Tx

Posted by Kev in Tx on April 20, 2002 at 22:16:01:

Thanks to you all who gave suggestions.

Contractor factor - Posted by Kev in Tx

Posted by Kev in Tx on April 19, 2002 at 18:27:17:

Hey all,

Have any of you had problems with contractors? (never…yeah right)

Providing sub standard work and refusing to bring the work up to par, Haggling for more money on the job with refusal to walk away from the job as is, Turnover time overdue.

I have used 2 contractors in my short REI career and it’s starting to look like a trend. However I’m sure I can do something to minimize this. What kind of experiences and SOLUTIONS and FIXES have you used to reduce the ever migrane creatin’ contractor factor?

Thanks in Advance to all who post.
Kev in Tx

Re: Contractor factor - Posted by Jon

Posted by Jon on April 19, 2002 at 20:05:53:

When you walk through with the contractor and are writing up the punch list, carry a portable tape recorder so that theres no misunderstandings.

As well as a late penalty, you might consider a carrot-a bonus for early completion.

Re: Contractor factor - Posted by Bill (NY)

Posted by Bill (NY) on April 19, 2002 at 19:36:00:

As a contractor I can tell you three main things.

1. Never use the lowest bidder.
  2. Always ask for, get and check references.
  3. Never hire the contractor who pulls up in a caddy with fuzzy dice hanging in the rearview mirror.

Re: Contractor factor - Posted by Mike Daly (GA)

Posted by Mike Daly (GA) on April 19, 2002 at 18:42:52:

When I took the LeGrand Wholesale/Retail boot camp they had an excellent contract to use with contractors. I’d say what’s key is to have a definite completion date in the contract, so if the work goes beyond that they get dinged a $50 day penalty. Also have a default date where if the work still isn’t finished you can cancel the contract with no further payments due to the contractor. Also, they don’t get their final payment until they have FULLY COMPLETED AND CLEANED UP to your satisfaction. Once they get that final check it’s real hard to get them to come back.
Search the archives, there’s a lot of good info on this topic.

Re: Contractor factor - Posted by Jana

Posted by Jana on September 18, 2003 at 09:10:11:

Punch list? I’m new to this,and have bought a HUD house. We gotten most of the improvements done, but I’m looking for a check list of sorts so that I can be consistant once my volume of buying has increased. There was nothing like this in my No Money Down materials. Any ideas? Where can I get an Improvements Checklist?

thanks,
Jana