Contractor Question? Two houses in 2 diff areas - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on March 30, 2006 at 20:55:26:

Thanks for the response Ron. I appreciate it!

Contractor Question? Two houses in 2 diff areas - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on March 30, 2006 at 12:08:46:

Hi,

I need some advice. I am building two houses in two different locations. Would it be best that I hire two different contractors or use one for both projects?

Thanks…Robert

Re: Contractor Question? - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on March 30, 2006 at 15:58:16:

Robert,

If you hire a general contractor who has a dozen, or more, guys working for him, it would make sense to have him look at both jobs.

Most guys I use have a handful of guys working for them…enough to do one house efficiently. They all love the idea of doing two at once ("you mean I can collect two start-up draws?!) The can never do it. Instead of having two six week jobs moving along simultaneously, you have one crew bouncing back and forth between the two jobs. You don’t get two done in six weeks. Worse, you don’t even get one done in the first six weeks and the second in the next six weeks…you get both done in twelve weeks…the worst possible scenario.

My vote’s with two separate crews (unless you’re using a bigtime GC…who’s probably too expensive).

Ron Guy

Re: Contractor Question? - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on March 30, 2006 at 14:29:46:

Robert,

If you hire a general contractor who has a dozen, or more, guys working for him, it would make sense to have him look at both jobs.

Most guys I use have a handful of guys working for them…enough to do one house efficiently. They all love the idea of doing two at once ("you mean I can collect two start-up draws?!) The can never do it. Instead of having two six week jobs moving along simultaneously, you have one crew bouncing back and forth between the two jobs. You don’t get two done in six weeks. Worse, you don’t even get one done in the first six weeks and the second in the next six weeks…you get both done in twelve weeks…the worst possible scenario.

My vote’s with two separate crews (unless you’re using a bigtime GC…who’s probably too expensive).

Ron Guy