Convention! - Posted by Brandon

Posted by Ed Garcia on May 01, 2006 at 14:22:23:

Lonnie,

you play dirty pool, you know I can’t say no to Joann.

Looking forward to seeing the two of you next week. I know you like your brandy when you’re not drinking your beer, we’ll have a good time.

Ed Garcia

Convention! - Posted by Brandon

Posted by Brandon on April 28, 2006 at 10:12:31:

I’m counting down the day til the CREonline Convention! This will be my first one and I’m very excited.

Any veterans got any good tips on how to make the most of my time there?

Anybody got any good success stories from going to the Convention?

Brandon

Re: Convention! - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on April 29, 2006 at 18:10:40:

Brandon,

Eisenhower was quoted as saying that it is the activity that goes into the planning that is important and not the actual plan. In that spirit…

1. Expect to meet a lot of people and to forget most of their names. Consider a camera, an iPod that can record (or similar) and other tools to capture details.

2. Bring business card. If you do not have some find a Kinkos and get some. Just basic info so people can contact you. Expect most will not so you should be collecting their card and then contact them.

3. Most important is to decide what the top 5-10 questions are that you want answered. Then just ask people. Intentionally sit with someone new at each session or meal. Keep asking your questions. You will get an amazing range of answer. Stuff that is going on in other parts of the country that you just would never think of.

4. Pick out names of people on the site who you want to meet. Send them email. Arrange a way to meet with them. Get their cell phone and text then when you are in Atlanta.

5. If possible stay Sunday night and grab who ever else is staying and go for a meal. Plan to go outside the hotel as eating there will have become old by Sunday.

The convention is like speed dating. Focus on volume of contact so that people will remember you later. As you have three days you can certainly spend some quality time with a few key people that you discover after you get there. Just do not fall into a routine of spending the 3 days with the same 5 people you meet in the first hour. Think of the convention as work and similar to looking for a deal. Get the word out that you are a RE investor and you want to meet others like you. It just so happens that almost every person in the facility will be similar so all will be receptive to talking.

John Corey

Re: Convention! - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 28, 2006 at 17:38:45:

Hi Brandon,

My name is Ed Garcia and it just so happens; I?m a veteran investor who has attended several CREonline Conventions.

Now the way this works is us ?Veteran Investors? share our knowledge and experience with you folks who have attended for the first time.

While were divulging our experience and expertise in the bar It?s customary that the new attendee buys the drinks.

Brandon, you can count on me to do my part, see you in Atlanta,

Ed Garcia

Re: Convention! - Posted by Rich[FL]

Posted by Rich[FL] on April 28, 2006 at 12:18:33:

Tips? Take plenty of business cards (I usually forget!); write down names of people you really want to meet and talk to, but don’t let that limit you on trying to meet everyone once; take plenty of NoDoze and plan on getting no sleep for 3 days! Above all - HAVE FUN!

Rich

In theory… - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on April 29, 2006 at 08:10:51:

… you are correct.

Trouble is, once you get yourself all wound up, you forget about who’s supposed to be buying and end up buying the newb drinks anyway. Now, that’s a deal!

You’re a class act, Ed. See you soon.

What a Deal… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 28, 2006 at 22:21:38:

Hey Ed…

That is funny, but it is a He!! of a deal for any newbie… For the price of a drink, maybe now 10 bucks since they have remodeled the bar in the Marriott, (and it is much nicer than before, but drinks are still just as good), a Newbie or Oldie alike, can get a dadgum RE seminar… Where could someone get an equal deal…? It simply doesn’t exist.

There will no doubt be a bonus as well folks, because in addition to Ed Garcia’s willingness to spew considerable RE knowledge your way, he will tell funny stories, and if your reall good to Ed, he may even do a little soft shoe for you… LOL

Seriously, one night in the Bar with Ed, or any number of other top-notched investors in attendance, is well worth the price of admission for the whole enchilada… If you haven’t been, this is the show in the “Big Top”… The Greatest Show on Earth… in RE education,anyway, so if you are looking for a jumpstart to your RE career, hitch your wagon to the CRE conv in Atlanta… You’ll be glad you did.

JT-IN

Re: What a Deal… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 29, 2006 at 11:08:47:

JT,

It?s funny that you should appear because I was just thinking of you.

I was asking myself, if I should run into you at the Convention, how we would handle who buys the drinks. After all you?re a pretty knowledgeable investor and definitely a Veteran with a capital ?V?.

The answer hit me like lightning. I?m older then you, that makes me a Senior Veteran Investor. Sorry JT, but its obvious because of my senior status, I out rank you, and you buy the drinks. Don?t let it upset you JT. It customary and I?m just going by protocol.

Now that we?ve got that handled, I?ve got another problem. I know it?s just a matter of time before I run into Lonnie Scruggs in the bar. He?s definitely a Senior Veteran Investor with a capital ?S? for senior and out ranks me.

I know I?ve got options. I can do what I did last year. I walked up to Lonnie?s table and told Lonnie, I couldn?t believe how young he looks. He said Ed, you?re a character, have a seat, I?d like to buy you a drink. Yap, that should work. With his capital ?S? he won?t remember I did that to him last year. Gosh, I hope he remembers me?

See you in Atlanta,

Ed Garcia

Re: Ed who? - Posted by Lonnieqlonniesdow@cox.net

Posted by Lonnieqlonniesdow@cox.net on April 29, 2006 at 19:33:23:

Oh yeah, now I remember. Hey, you may be younger, but I?m better looking. And my memory is better, too. Don?t you remember promising to buy the drinks this time? Bet you don?t even remember what I drink, do you? But don?t worry, I?ll remind you when it?s order time.
See you next week,
Lonnie

Re:It’s going to cost me… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 30, 2006 at 24:00:33:

Oh no Mr. Scruggs,

You busted me. And I know my little humor is going to cost me.

Some how I?m going to have to involve Joann. She tries to keep an eye on you. If I can convince her that you?re having a few to many, she?ll collect you.

I?m sorry Lonnie, but you leave me no other choice. If I don?t get Joann involved, you?ll drink me into the poor house. In you post you said, quote, ?Bet you don?t even remember what I drink, do you? But don?t worry, I?ll remind you when it?s order time.?

Boy I?ll tell ya. Gas has gone up to $3.25 per gallon and now your going to have me be a stock holder in the Marriott Bar. It?s going to be a long weekend???

Ed Garcia

Re:It’s going to cost me… - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on April 30, 2006 at 17:05:09:

Ed,
You?re a real gentleman and a class act. I?ll be honored for you to buy the drinks. (Joanne feels the same way).
Here?s to you,
Lonnie