Copyright Laws - Posted by Paris

Posted by Vic on May 19, 2000 at 05:55:46:

Paris,
You can call the Patent & Copyright office in Wash. D.C. (not sure of phone #), and they will send you out a pamphlet on copyrights, along with an application.

Vic

Copyright Laws - Posted by Paris

Posted by Paris on May 18, 2000 at 21:52:41:

Have a small problem (hope it’s small). Need to hear from someone who knows about copyrights laws, (printed literature) or short of an attorney, what is the best book to check out at the library?

Re: Copyright Laws - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on May 19, 2000 at 20:45:35:

You might start over at www.findlaw.com or www.alllaw.com

Re: Copyright Laws - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 19, 2000 at 07:46:44:

What is your issue? I have a retail business and have been threatened lawsuit over copywrite infringement as recently as last December.

If you have been contacted by someone threatening suit, I would suggest you talk to them. Be very careful of what you say, as your words can turn against you. In my case, I had an employee photocopy a professional photograph. The photographer and I talked for at least three hours on this issue. He had me nailed, big time. But we discussed in detail our policy on this issue. That we have training for our employees. That we refuse tons of orders because they are copywritten. The end of our conversation was that the violation was not willful, and was an employee just not thinking at the moment. He could have nailed me to the wall for 50k, plus attorney fees. We started talking about how hard it is to be in business with taxes, the city, customers, employees, etc. I built a connection with this man that it is US against the big bad world. At the end, he said, “I really want to make an example of you, but there is no use in hurting you. I can see you are sincere.” WHEW !! AT NO TIME DID I ADMIT TO MAKING THE COPIES. I just said, “if in fact your are correct, which I am not saying you are…”

Good luck.

Laure :slight_smile: