Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Clinton on September 23, 2011 at 04:16:08:

The furring strips I use are spruce, “white wood” and very soft. I
have used the shears for pine 1/4 round and they do well but no
they wouldn’t work on pine or fir 1 1/2 x 3/4" strips.
Clinton

Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 19, 2011 at 15:43:57:

A guess a few years back I posted about having warn out my entry level 18volt cordless tools and had finally upgraded to DeWalt (which I love by the way).

About a year and a half ago I burned out my old, plug in jig saw after having had it repaired (cost as much as the jig saw did).

At that time I could not find a cordless 18Volt jigsaw from DeWalt so I bought their plug in version which I also like very much except for the fact that it must be plugged in.

Recently I found the cordless 18volt Dewalt jigsaw. You can buy it with a battery for $225 or $125 without the battery. Boy Dewalt sure does like their batteries! $100 just for a battery?

I bought this drill (no battery) and used it during the recent flooring install. I like the jig saw as much as the plug in and can now move about wherever I need to since it is CORDLESS!

I don’t know why they don’t include this in their package deals but it is a great tool (from the little bit I used it the other day) and one that I expect to use quite often.

If you are in the market for a jig saw I recommend holding out for the cordless that matches whatever your other tools (batteries) are.

I like being able to grab a handful of tools and be able to do several jobs with them. Less setup and packup.

Tony

Re: Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on September 20, 2011 at 19:06:04:

My cordless jig is also one of my most used tools. Over the past
couple of years I picked up Dewalt’s cordless 18 gauge and 15
gauge trim nailers with these and the jig saw it makes paneling, trim
jobs etc. so much more efficient My most recent “favorite efficiency
increasing tool” has been the hand held trim molding shears. I can
cut 1/4 round, cove molding and all seam lath like paper with a pair
of scissors. I use a lot of 1 1/2 x 3/4" trim around ceilings and
windows and it cuts them like butter One could also use them to
collect from slow pays if one was so inclined. It would effortlessly
remove digits cleanly at the knuckle.
Clinton

Corded stapler - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 19, 2011 at 17:20:05:

I have lauded praise on the small compressors that come with a crown stapler - cheap at ~$60, and great time savers for tacking paneling, moldings, and carpet.

I am about to crawl under and install some insulation - probably will use the styrofoam sheets as belly, but I am thinking about retaining the batts, and all the squeezing of the Arrow T-50 stapler.

Lowe’s has two models of plug-in electric staplers, but no battery operated. Both made by Arrow (just like the silver squeezy one)the Chinese one is $30 and the American-made one is $50.

I’ll be catching the made-in-USA for this job - hope its not a wasted purchase . . .

Re: Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on September 20, 2011 at 21:01:27:

Clinton,
You did mean 1-1/2 x 1/4 trim around ceilings, right?

Steve

Re: Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 20, 2011 at 19:21:14:

Clinton,

I like the sounds of these shears. Can your provide a link or name for me to look up? Can you buy these at Lowe’s etc?

Tony

(Tool envy can kill a budget)

Re: Corded stapler - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 19, 2011 at 20:06:53:

I noticed in Mike Scarbrough’s DVD they used an electric stapler for tacking up the tub surrounds. Looked like the one they used worked great.

I have the crown stapler, brad nailer and nail gun for my compressor but sure do hate hauling all that out for a small job.

Maybe Mike can recommend the stapler he uses.

Tony

Posted by Clinton on September 21, 2011 at 06:49:42:

No around the ceilings, windows and doors I buy the 1x3 furring
strips from Lowes and rip them in half on the table saw. You end up
with 2 pieces approx. 1 1/2" wide and 3/4" thick. I like the thicker
material because it hides more and when applied with drywall
screws it will move and hold whatever it is covering up. The furring
strips are about $1.59 per 8’ so you get 16’ of trim for that price.

Posted by Clinton on September 20, 2011 at 19:45:18:

This is the one I have been using. I don’t think it is available from
the big boxes. http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/lowe-scheren-
shoe-molding-miter-cutter-with-leverage.html

Re: Corded stapler - Posted by Mike Scarbrough

Posted by Mike Scarbrough on September 20, 2011 at 23:17:43:

Hi Tony, on the video for the tub surround we used an electric nail gun with 1" nails to secure the Marlite. This was primarily to keep it in place while the Liquid Nails hardened.

For wall board and for trim using an electric nail gun is quick and easy (don’t use liquid nails for wallboard or obviously trim either). You can get pretty decent electric nail guns for under $100 that will do. Of course, don’t expect it to last 20 years.

We’ve used staplers and nailguns to secure wallboard. I would generally recommend a nailgun because you will have it out for the trim also but either will do.

I think the Arrow that Steve bought will be great for installing insulation. You’ll notice on the video that we used a standard old school non-electric stapler to secure the insulation batting, but electric is easier.

-Mike

Mikes dvds - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 20, 2011 at 10:14:24:

I finally broke down and ordered the set last Fri - I’ll see soon enough

Re: Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on September 22, 2011 at 20:36:25:

I too use 3/4 “trim” like you. I’m having a hard time imagining that hand-held shear cutting through 3/4" pine or fir easily and frequently.

Steve

Re: Cordless Jig Saw - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 21, 2011 at 07:55:42:

I do the same with 1x3 for moulding around windows.

I also rip 1x2 furring strips in half and stain them in lieu of 1/4 round to cover the gaps from laminate flooring to the wall. I screw them to the wall so the floor can continue to float.

When you rip these boards it gives each piece a slightly rounded edge. This works fine, looks good and is very inexpensive (about 49 cents a stick after ripping).

Tony

Miter Cutter - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 21, 2011 at 08:03:19:

Interesting. I have always used either the cordless circular saw or a compound miter saw but lately I have stopped going to the extreme of using the compound miter saw.

In a pinch I have used old PVC plumbing pipe cutter (the kind the ratchet) to cut small pieces of trim. Now that has to be “trailer engineering” in action!

I will look into this tool and thanks for the recommendation Clinton.

Tony

Re: Mikes dvds - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 20, 2011 at 18:09:13:

You will be glad you did.

Tony