Corp Names No-No - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Ken.K(IL) on March 25, 2000 at 09:14:51:

Hey Sheik, I appreciate your reply, I was able to get into the State of Illinois site & search for the name I’ve chosen…thanks again,
Ken.K(IL)

Corp Names No-No - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on March 23, 2000 at 12:43:13:

When establishing a corp, are we restricted from using
certain words/phrases? e.g. funding, investments etc.

If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that certain wordings, such as above, are not allowed unless the corp is
actually some type of lending institution.

I am sure that this varies by state.

Your comment is appreciated.

Sheik

Re: Corp Names No-No - Posted by Vicki

Posted by Vicki on March 26, 2000 at 06:05:26:

Should a corp name be generic (ie COSCO) or should the name have something to do with real estate or the nature of the business?

Thanks in advance for all replies,
Vicki

Re: Corp Names No-No - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on March 23, 2000 at 14:51:43:

Sheik,

You are correct. If you are establishing an entity for RE investing in Arizona, here’s an example of a name “No-No” from the Arizona Corporation Commission:

If a name contains the words “Bank” or “Banc” or “Mortgage” - the business should also talk to the State Banking Department (602) 255-4421. Names cannot include these words unless the Business will be actively involved in Banking or Trust.

Check with your individual state corporation commission for a complete list of restricted names that cause additional filing or notification requirements.

I hope this helps.

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Corp Names - Posted by Ken.K(IL)

Posted by Ken.K(IL) on March 24, 2000 at 10:44:13:

This subject brought to mind the question of ‘choosing a name’ for your new corporation…Is there a way to know in advance if my ‘chosen’ name has/is being used? I’m in the process of forming a corp.& have ordered Mr.Bronchicks,“How to Create a Bulletproof Corporation”
Thanks A Bunch…Ken.K(IL)

Re: Corp Names - Posted by Kerry_IL

Posted by Kerry_IL on March 24, 2000 at 15:28:31:

Ken,

Go to www.state.il.us and click on “service to business”

You can check name availability on-line there.

Kerry_IL

Re: Corp Names - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on March 24, 2000 at 12:10:43:

In NY you can do a name search for a fee, of course.

Or you can just submit your choosen name and hope it’s not taken. If it is, they’ll contact you and you’d have to choose another.

The best way , I guess, is to submit multiple names in order of most favorable (in NY it is allowed). If the first is taken, you’ll get the second etc.

Check with your state dept.

Sheik

Re: Corp Names - Posted by Ken.K(IL)

Posted by Ken.K(IL) on March 25, 2000 at 09:11:57:

Thanks Kerry, I tried it & it worked, the name I’ve chosen seems available…I own you one!
Ken.K(IL)