"Cottage Cheese" Ceilings - Posted by Kirsten

Posted by Bud Branstetter on November 30, 1999 at 14:17:33:

Glad to see you’re still snapping. If the ketchup on the ceiling is typical it is from those little packets that kids love to smash between their hands.

Even if it has been painted you can still scape. A mess but the least expensive way.

“Cottage Cheese” Ceilings - Posted by Kirsten

Posted by Kirsten on November 30, 1999 at 13:42:04:

Anyone with knowledge on how to remove “cottage cheese” from ceilings? Costly? Also, I’d like to know the technical term for research purposes. Thanks much!

Re: Easy removal method - Posted by Bob H

Posted by Bob H on November 30, 1999 at 21:57:58:

Start with an empty room. Lay sheet plastic on the entire floor. Hookup a hand held garden sprayer (with a trigger control & mist setting) to a hose from the water facuet. Liberally wet down the ceiling with the sprayer, let it set for about 5-10 minutes, and then scrap off with a wide (12") putty or drywall blade.

Clean up is a bit messy, but the texture comes off easily and quickly. You can do an average size bedroom in under 30 minutes. The trick is to use the spray gun liberally - don’t worry you won’t damage the drywall!

Good Luck

Bob H

Re: “Cottage Cheese” Ceilings - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on November 30, 1999 at 21:18:48:

Kirsten,
If the type of ceiling you are referring to is what I am thinking about, there is a better way to handle it, IF the ceiling is intact.
Does the surface have holes, or abrasions?
Is it just that it is faded, or looks like it needs paint?
Has it been painted before, or is it bare, “popcorn/cottage cheese”?

If it has been painted, and is in tact, you may consider two options.
1.), repaint it.
Use a long knap roller, approx. 3/4 inch if possible.
You will use a lot of paint, and it will be messy applying it, but will turn out okay.
2.) clean it.
My home has that type of ceiling, and frankly was really dirty looking. It had smoke and dirt stains on it, but was intact.
So, we got this product from a “T.V. info-mercial”.
It is a bleach type substance, that comes in a powder form. (I think it is called “insta-gone”, but do not quote me.)
Basically, what we did was to mix it with water as per the instructions, and put it in the spray bottle that came with the “kit”.
We then spread out tarps in the area we were applying it to.
Then, we sprayed the entire ceiling, and it came out WHITE AS SNOW!! (make sure you wear eye protection and a mask over your mouth and nose, this stuff stings when it gets on you. OUCH!! Learned that the hard way!)

What a difference it made though, and cost me only about $10 for the ENTIRE 800 sq/ft we used it on. (and I have some left in the garage.)

I have also used this on white ceiling tiles on a home we bought that had some water damage stains. We fixed the source of the stains first, obviously.

The other ideas given here are also good, but frankly, removing the “popcorn” is messy and time comsuming.
Also, when you remove it, you need to make sure that you either sand the surface really well BEFORE you repaint it, or cover it with some new texture.
A white ceiling will show almost all impoerfections, and people WILL notice.
I think that is why this “popcorn/cottage cheese” stuff came about in the first place. It hides any blemishes.

Hope this helps,
Jim IL

Popcorn Ceiling Removal - Posted by BRnBA

Posted by BRnBA on November 30, 1999 at 17:02:55:

Ther is a tool made by Homax that is designed for this. It is available at drywall supply stores. You scrape the ceiling and the acoustics fall into a plastic bag that is attached to the tool. Minor repairs will be needed to smooth the finish when all the popcorn is gone. It is not easy but can be done. I would texture with orange peel or whatever when finished, then paint.

Is cottage cheese the same as popcorn? - Posted by Gator

Posted by Gator on November 30, 1999 at 14:03:52:

Best I remember if you lightly spray it with water you can scrape it off. It it has been painted this won’t work. I am assuming you are talking about textured ceilings. I have always wondered how so much food gets on ceilings of my rentals. Ketchup in particular. Hope this helps.

Gator