Could someone refresh my memory on how to clean those oil stains off of a driveway ? - Posted by Chris (FL)

Posted by JPiper on December 06, 1999 at 18:55:09:

I had asked a question regarding removing paint from woodwork…the suggestion was that I use KFC. Whether it works on oil stains, I can’t say…lol. Matter of fact, I’m more concerned with finding SOMEONE to USE almost anything,KFC, cat litter, whatever, but hey, that’s another question.

JPiper

Could someone refresh my memory on how to clean those oil stains off of a driveway ? - Posted by Chris (FL)

Posted by Chris (FL) on December 06, 1999 at 15:28:27:

I know kitty litter is used in some sort of an absorbtion capacity , but as to rest of the details , I’m drawing a blank.

Re: Could someone refresh my memory on how to clean those oil stains off of a driveway ? - Posted by steve

Posted by steve on December 07, 1999 at 12:42:13:

A ‘no-cost’ method is to clean up any standing oil (rags, paper towels, whatever), get the stain wet, and sprinkle a handful of laundry detergent on the stain (or more, depending on the size of the stain). Lightly mist the detergent until it’s wet, but don’t use so much water that it washes the detergent off. Let it sit for a couple days, and hose it off.

This method works best if the stain is fairly fresh, and may not work on a really old one, but you have nothing but a cup of detergent and 10 minutes to lose.

Re: Could someone refresh my memory on how to clean those oil stains off of a driveway ? - Posted by Jim Pasquini

Posted by Jim Pasquini on December 06, 1999 at 20:00:33:

As related by Super Handyman Al Carrol on Michael Holligan’s “Your New House”.

1. Soak the area with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
  2. Put down an absorbent, such as sawdust, kitty litter or AbsorbMor, over the top of it.
  3. Cover it with a plastic bag to keep the solvent from evaporating.
  4. Let sit overnight and sweep up the next day.
  5. Repeat if necessary to completely remove stain.

I have also heard of using a brick to grind kitty litter into the stain but I think the solvent method is more effective.

You can find a lot of cool information and projects at http://www.yournewhouse.com/

Re: Could someone refresh my memory on how to clean those oil stains off of a driveway ? - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on December 06, 1999 at 19:29:32:

Clay-based kitty litter will soak up oil that is freshly deposited, or you can get the stuff made for it at just about any home center. Sprinkle it on and let it set for several hours. For residual or set in stains, I’'ve seen driveway cleaners at auto parts stores, but don’t remember the brand or how it works.

BG

Re: I think it was JPiper who mentioned KFC… - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on December 06, 1999 at 16:23:17:

I thought Jim recommended Kentucky Fried Chicken in some capacity such as this. Jim, can you clarify?

(smile)

Stacy

Re: Could someone refresh my memory on how to clean those oil stains off of a driveway ? - Posted by Katie

Posted by Katie on December 07, 1999 at 11:15:26:

If you still have a stain, try using some cement mix. Wet the area, let it dry to just moist(you don’t want standing water), sprinkle dry cement mix on the area lightly, sweep or scrub the mix into the area. Don’t try this over standing oil, you must clean the area first.