County Records Search - Posted by Rick

Posted by DJR-NV on October 31, 2000 at 12:51:29:

Rick,

I’ll offer a different perspective. I do searches in
four different counties. When I first started a year ago I didn’t know anything about anything. The employees at each place I went were extraordinarily helpful. They spent a lot of time walking me through each of their different systems for locating deeds of trust, property information etc… I was never made to feel stupid even after asking the same questions over and over.

I can now cruise through the various computer logs and microfiche files like I was born to them.

My suggestion is to go in and ask questions. Time is wasting and there are plenty of good deals to be tracked down. I believe most people will be happy to help out if they can. The information is a matter of public record and free to us all.

Best of luck

DJR

County Records Search - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on October 30, 2000 at 14:32:38:

Hi all.

I’ve read several posts in the past about searching for title at the county recorders office. I’ve searched my local county recorders website and they charge various fees for requests for these documents. So I have two questions:

1. How many pages do you really need to request to get the information you need? Isn’t the name of the current owner usually on the first page or two? (ok, maybe I have more than two questions. lol)

2. Are you allowed to review these documents in person and write the info down for free, rather than pay to have a copy?

It costs a lot of money to park downtown and didn’t want to waste a trip or not bring enough cash to pay for everything. Thanks for the responses.

Re: County Records Search - Posted by AnnNC

Posted by AnnNC on October 30, 2000 at 20:31:38:

Rick,
The information is public information. Yes, you can look at it. The atmosphere is different in various parts of the country. Where I live, it’s almost like, “who are you and why do you want to know?”
The local newspaper even did an article series on access to
public information. When they went in as the newspaper, they were treated well, but when they went back with same questions as private citizens, they were asked for their name and phone number and why they needed the information ( not saying this was all real estate-related information, but this WAS in my county, and it does relate to me…I have to ask each and every
question , there is no information sheet for the public, no “decoder” for the on-screen computer designations to use the computer, no glossary even
an internal one of departmental codes’
. If I want to look up property history, they ask me when the property was sold… No, I’m there because I DON’T know., so you get the idea, and with each question, I have to go get the clerk. It’s a pain.
It can be difficult…it is not supposed to be.
You can go to the court house and get it. It is probably worth it to go and spend a day. But, go to learn all you can. The information is not all in one department. You might want to know about foreclosures,
notice of default, leins, deed transfer. It’s all there, but it is not the same departments.

Review what the charges are. Are they for copies?
Probably. Maybe. Go with the intention to learn the entire system- property records: tax assessment,
deed transfers I have had a frustrating time talking to county clerks.
I even had one tell me that the information was not
available online to the public, while I was viewing the screen on my computer via my other telephone line and talking to the clerk.

So, yes, go, spend the whole day, pack a lunch. It’s the same place where subcontractors go to file leins
on properites that their general contractor did not pay them for; it’s the same place probably where
notice of bulding code violation is recorded.
And if not, then a good time to find out. And, people who sell services to investor, will have some flyers there. So spend a few days and familiarize yourself with your local department. For mine, I have to stand up-not even a chair to sit in to use the computers.
I should do something about that!
Good luck. Each county is different. They don’t operate for your convenience, as I have found.
Pick a property that you know all about, and your neighbors, and then go and see what you can find, and if it matches with your own knowledge. You have to go in with a a property address that you know exists, and
and owner thhat you know exists for that property, and then work it from there. Otherwise, you will spend hours being confused by wrong information, possibly. I have had this experience, where I look up
my own house, and can’t find it. so, anytime you are
learning something new, start with what you know, and go from there. Look up your house, the house next door, the owner of the house next door, etc. and see
what you get on the questions that you already know the answers to.
You won’t always go to the courthhouse, but do this at first, you need to start somewhere, and need to learn your county.
So, like I said, pack a lunch!
Think this: when I need to train someone to go to the
courthouse to look up properties for me, what am I going to
tell them to do?
Ann

If I were you… - Posted by Louie

Posted by Louie on October 30, 2000 at 17:51:35:

I’d move to where the services are FREE!

Try a neighboring State or somethin

Louie

Re: County Records Search - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on October 30, 2000 at 23:27:39:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. That’s the kind of information and experiences I’m hoping to avoid! :>)

Now I feel like I can go in there and attempt to at least not sound like a complete idiot. lol