Couple more L/O questions.... - Posted by Charity

Posted by Steve-Atl on December 20, 2000 at 19:27:29:

They moved to Lawrenceville. I use them all the time. Ask for Dwayne Thompson. He’s the attorney there.

Couple more L/O questions… - Posted by Charity

Posted by Charity on December 19, 2000 at 12:13:52:

Met with my first L/O seller last night and they are pretty much ready to sign! I have a couple of lingering L/O questions:

1. What is the best and cheapest way to go about doing title searches? Are there online services that are legitimate and inexpensive as compared to the charge for having a local atty do it?

2. This one relates to another call I had. If someone has a reusable line of credit on their home and they are interested in doing a L/O, how do you make certain that they will not continue to draw on that while you have the home L/O’d out to a T/B?

Thanks in advance to everyone who answers. I am getting so much help and I hope one day to be able to help others!

Charity

Re: Couple more L/O questions… - Posted by Warner(ATL)

Posted by Warner(ATL) on December 19, 2000 at 22:10:47:

Charity,

Try Record Research in Buford, GA. They will do a lien search for $25 and a title search for about $100. They are investor friendly and can probably even give you title insurance on your L/O position. Unfortunately I do not have the number as I type this however they should be listed.

Warner

Yourself! Is the cheapest… - Posted by howard-nyc

Posted by howard-nyc on December 19, 2000 at 19:33:34:

…if you know where to look. Keep in mind that a title search is just that. It is not a Title Policy.
It is a search in all the places, nooks and crannies, which are more or less public records that are available to anyone. Including you.

The person who does a search is called
an “abstractor”. This search is performed within a few days and upto the date of the closing. There is no insurance to protect you the buyer.

In New York we search for but not limited to the following:
lis pendens(foreclosure filings)
property tax(is it current?)
water liens
sewer liens
federal, state, city income tax liens
environmental control board; certificate of occupancy violations, waste disposal tickets, sidewalk liens(from when they repaired the sidewalk but the owner didn’t pay)
parking tickets

The next method, I prefer, is to befriend an abstractor at the court house/county clerks that can do quick searches for you. They are employed by the title search companies and not the court. Just approach them and ask which places they normally search for performing their searches. Find out what they would charge you. No guarantees and no insurance.

The last method is to order directly from a title search company and pay the higher rates. Again, there will be no insurance policy with the search delivered unless you pay extra for the policy.

hth,
howard

Re: Couple more L/O questions… - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on December 19, 2000 at 14:10:57:

Many states have abstract companies at for a small fee $50-100, will give a title report. No insurance but you know if there is a problem. Include a name search for judgements and a tax search.

On your second question- Have them close that line of credit. You are going to buy. Them have them sign a performance mortgage. Put the title into a land trust. No one will give a new loan without title insurance and they don’t own the real property if it is in a land trust

Re: Couple more L/O questions… - Posted by Jason_ga

Posted by Jason_ga on December 19, 2000 at 22:54:36:

warner, i called 411, they have no "record research " in Buford , Ga. can you please tell us more? thanks…